How much total mechanical work does a eight lifter do in 10 repetitions

In summary, the total mechanical work done by an eight lifter in 10 repetitions of lifting and lowering 200 kg to a height of 1.0m is 0. This is because the final total displacement is zero and the weight is returned to its initial position, making the change in potential energy also zero. However, this answer may vary depending on the assumptions made and the nature of the force applied, as the force supplied by muscles is not always considered a conservative force. It is best to clarify this with your teacher for a more definite answer.
ShakeWell
ok, tell me if I'm wrong:

the questions asks:
How much total mechanical work does a eight lifter do in 10 repetitions of lifting (and lowering) 200 kg to a height of 1.0m?

I'm thinking, since the final total displacement is zero, the answer is 0 right?

Physics news on Phys.org
The "total mechanical work" is the change in potential energy (and here, since the weight is returned to its initial position that is 0) only for a "conservative" force (i.e. no friction). Of course, gravity is conservative but, in general, the force supplied by muscles is not. I don't think it is possible to give a definite answer without knowing precisely what assumptions are made. Exactly what the total mechanical work is depends a lot on how it is moved. Many texts would not call the work the muscles have to do "mechanical" work. While I think there is a very good argument for "0 work", I recommend you discuss this with your teacher!

Yes, you are correct. The total mechanical work done by the eight lifter in 10 repetitions would be 0, since the final displacement is zero. This is because work is defined as the product of force and displacement in the direction of the force. Since the weight is being lifted and lowered to the same height, the total displacement is zero and therefore the total work done is also zero.

1. How is total mechanical work defined?

Total mechanical work is defined as the amount of force applied over a distance, resulting in the displacement of an object. In other words, it is the product of force and distance.

2. What is a "eight lifter" in this context?

A "eight lifter" refers to a person performing a weightlifting exercise using a barbell with eight plates, each weighing a certain amount. This term is often used in the context of weightlifting competitions.

3. How is the total mechanical work of a eight lifter calculated?

The total mechanical work of a eight lifter can be calculated by multiplying the weight lifted (force) with the distance the weight is lifted (distance). This calculation is then multiplied by the number of repetitions performed.

4. How is the weight lifted by a eight lifter determined?

The weight lifted by a eight lifter is usually determined by the weight of the plates on the barbell. This weight is typically standardized in weightlifting competitions and may vary depending on the specific exercise being performed.

5. What factors can affect the total mechanical work of a eight lifter?

The total mechanical work of a eight lifter may be affected by several factors, including the weight of the barbell, the number of plates on the barbell, the distance the weight is lifted, and the number of repetitions performed. Additionally, factors such as the lifter's technique, muscle strength, and fatigue levels may also impact the total mechanical work.