Solving the Physics Problem of 20 Tons in a 10 Ton Van

• Thread starter Hypercase
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusing
In summary: The van is a closed van, so thepressure on the canaries is different than if it were open.- The canaries are not able to stay in the air if they are in a closed van, but if they are in an open van they can stay in the air.
Hypercase
While driving down the road one day, a motorist sees a truck (closed van) coming up behind him rapidly. The van passes him, but a short time later he sees it parked along the road, and the driver is out beating the side of the truck with a tire iron. He goes on, and soon he sees the truck rapidly approaching again. This scenario repeats several times. His curiosity perked, the next time he sees the truck stopped, he stops also, and queries the driver.

"Well, I have 20 tons of canaries in here, and this is a 10 ton van, so I am trying to keep them flying"!

What is wrong with the physics??
If the van was a cage instead of closed wat diffrence would it make? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Heh, I was just reading about this the other day while looking for familiar physics myths and common misconceptions. :)

Look here:
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/scenario/miscon.htm
Under "Fly away, birdie."

That still dosen't answer the question.

Hypercase

If the canaries are to stay in the air, an upwards force has to be exerted on them, which is normally done by the air which their wings beat down on. But the air in the van stays where it is, it doesn't go accelerating through the bottom of the van. It will have to apply a force on the van, probably on the bottom of the van, I would think, and this would be equivalent to the weight of the canaries if they were all still. If they were in a cage, I have a feeling it would be slightly different. In fact, even in the case of the van, it may be different than what I described. However, at this point you're talking about the turbulent motion of air and I have a feeling that the force of the air won't go straight down to the bottom of the van, it will swirl around, but I don't know enough about this to say how it will behave. One thing is, however, that birds wings are designed to let them glide on currents of wind, so maybe an open cage on a moving vehicle would be different because the canaries might be able to just glide through the air, and they'd stay in the air because of the difference in pressure above and below their wings, but at this point I have no idea what I'm talking about... :wink:

ok now that the idiots hav had their chance can some who knows wat their talking 'bout answer my question please...

Hypercase,

Your question has been quite well answered. AKG is no idiot. I should also add that personal attacks are not welcome here at PF.

- Warren

1. How is it possible to fit 20 tons in a 10 ton van?

The key to fitting 20 tons in a 10 ton van is efficient packing and distribution of weight. By strategically placing heavier items at the bottom and distributing weight evenly throughout the van, it is possible to fit more weight than the van's maximum capacity.

2. Can the van handle the weight of 20 tons?

It depends on the specific van and its weight capacity. In general, vans are designed to carry a certain maximum weight and exceeding this weight can be dangerous and potentially damage the vehicle. It is important to consult the van's weight capacity and use caution when attempting to exceed it.

3. What impacts will the extra weight have on the van's performance?

The extra weight will put strain on the van's engine, brakes, and suspension. This can lead to decreased fuel efficiency, difficulty with acceleration and braking, and potential damage to the vehicle's components. It is important to consider these impacts before attempting to carry more weight than the van's capacity.

4. Are there any safety concerns when carrying 20 tons in a 10 ton van?

Yes, there are several safety concerns when carrying more weight than a vehicle is designed for. Exceeding weight capacity can put extra strain on the vehicle and potentially lead to accidents. It is important to carefully consider the safety implications and take necessary precautions when attempting to carry 20 tons in a 10 ton van.

5. Is it legal to carry 20 tons in a 10 ton van?

It depends on the laws and regulations of the specific location. In general, it is not legal to exceed a vehicle's weight capacity and doing so can result in fines or penalties. It is important to research and follow the weight restrictions in the area where the van will be driven.