How to Convert 1 Mince Pie into Energy for Santa's Sled

• Thread starter Bunting
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fusion
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding a way to convert one mince pie into 70,000J of energy to power Santa's sled. Some suggestions include using depleted uranium and anti-mince pie reactions, but the original poster is looking for a more practical solution that can be compared to a car or human body. The conversation also includes some humorous responses and a suggestion to simply use the energy contained in the mince pie itself to power the sled.
Bunting
Could anybody give me any suggestions, as to how i could convert 1 mince pie into around about 70 000J of energy, which could be used to power an engine of some sort ?

I ask this, as I am creating a santa statistic :P not very origonal anymore i grant you, however, i was hoping to create a diagram of santas sled and how it works :) so any suggestions, in the christmas spirit are very much appreicated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Eat it and you be the engine. The pie should be worth at least 100 times that.

Doug

Originally posted by Mathechyst
Eat it and you be the engine. The pie should be worth at least 100 times that.

Doug
everythign i eat is used to power my body, the sled is the body i need to power :)

Here's a suggestion:

Go to your local depleted uranium store, pick up ohhh, 26 lbs of the stuff in two separate pieces, smash it together with the mince pie and then put it into a gas centrifuge to separate the lighter U-235 from the heavier non-fissionable U-238. Then get a detonator capable of fusing the two pieces together and voila! You have your power source for santie to go sledding all over the world... in a million pieces, but he is still going all over the world.

Obviously you need a mince pie - anti mince pie reactor (and an anti mince pie). As the pies are brought into contact, the pions and anti-pions annihilate each other, completely releasing their mass as energy.

Njorl

right, look. I am actually looking for serious answers now, Andthensome, i don't want sometign which would result in santa being blown up, that's just stupid. Njorl, that's a good idea (with the anti-mince pies) however, its a bit too much energy. I want it like you have a fuel tank, and you put pies in it like you do petrol in a car :)

Obviously i don't want a perfect conversion (mass->energy releasing far in excess of a megatonne nuclear explosion's worth of energy). Like it uses chemical energy as te human body does! (but as i have sad, i don't want to know how santa himself can power it !)

thanks!

Andthensome, i don't want sometign which would result in santa being blown up, that's just stupid.

LOL, but having mince pies as the fuel source in the sled of an imaginary character isn't? oooookay, whatever.

Originally posted by Bunting
right, look. I am actually looking for serious answers now, Andthensome, i don't want sometign which would result in santa being blown up, that's just stupid. Njorl, that's a good idea (with the anti-mince pies) however, its a bit too much energy. I want it like you have a fuel tank, and you put pies in it like you do petrol in a car :)

Obviously i don't want a perfect conversion (mass->energy releasing far in excess of a megatonne nuclear explosion's worth of energy). Like it uses chemical energy as te human body does! (but as i have sad, i don't want to know how santa himself can power it !)

thanks!

But children in other galaxies need toys too!

Njorl

if you dpont know an answer then just don't post! if i wanted non related answers i would have put them in the "nobody really wants an answer but uselss replys" forum.

I want a theoretical solution to this problem. Maybe if you say its a car and a person doing the same journey (and wyes, the car can drive over water and through buildings). In fact, let's call it a ghost car.

hmmmm, can you not work out how much energy is contained in 1 mince pie, find the best way of harnessing that energy and then use that to power his sled?

Seems abit obvious to me, but you may not have thought of that.

I do really like Njorl's Mince pie-anti mince pie reactor though.

1. How does a mince pie convert into energy for Santa's sled?

A mince pie contains ingredients such as flour, butter, and dried fruit which are rich in carbohydrates. When these carbohydrates are broken down by the body, they release energy in the form of glucose. This glucose is then used by the body's cells to produce ATP (adenosine triphosphate), which is the main source of energy for all living organisms.

2. How much energy does 1 mince pie provide for Santa's sled?

The exact amount of energy provided by 1 mince pie varies depending on the size and specific ingredients used. However, on average, a mince pie contains around 250 calories, which is equivalent to approximately 1050 joules of energy. This energy can help power Santa's sled for a short distance.

3. Can any type of mince pie be used to power Santa's sled?

In theory, any type of mince pie can be used to provide energy for Santa's sled. However, mince pies that are made with healthier, more nutritious ingredients (such as whole wheat flour and natural sweeteners) may provide more sustained and efficient energy compared to those made with processed or artificial ingredients.

4. How many mince pies would Santa need to eat to power his entire journey?

This depends on the distance of Santa's journey and the specific energy requirements of his sled. However, assuming that Santa's sled requires 10,000 joules of energy per kilometer and that each mince pie provides 1050 joules of energy, Santa would need to eat approximately 10 mince pies for every kilometer he travels. This means that for an average journey of 50,000 kilometers, Santa would need to eat around 500,000 mince pies!

5. Are there any other foods that can be used to power Santa's sled?

While mince pies are a delicious and festive option, there are certainly other foods that can provide energy for Santa's sled. Some examples include fruitcake, gingerbread cookies, and even dried fruits and nuts. The key is to choose foods that are high in carbohydrates and low in fat, as these are the most efficient sources of energy for physical activity.