Electric Field demonstration

In summary, it would be possible to create lens systems using nothing but vacuum and radio waves, but it would require an extremely large gradient.
That_0ne_Guy
I'm a high school senior interested in completing a science project. I'm wondering what knowledge is necessary for me to understand the interaction between coherent light( like a laser) and a uniform electric field with the ultimate goal of constructing a model. The project will be a type of optics demonstration, but this one aspect is a giving me trouble.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well the standard answer is that two electromagnetic fields superimpose (i.e., add) without influencing each other. In layman's language, one beam of light will go right through another beam of light without any interaction. Same for static fields.

They will pass through one another as long as their wavelengths are not in exact phase with one another. It is difficult to achive exact phasing of wavelengths from two (or more) sources, however, it can happen. If they are in phase with one another, they will try and cancel each other out, usually resulting in some sort of static interferance or noise. The wavelength with the most power will usually win.

After rereading my reply, I realized I made a mistake. I said in it "as long as their wavelengths are not in exact phase with one another" when I should have said ' as long as their wavelengths are not in exact oposite phase with one another'.

Sorry about the mixup. I tend to get backwards at times.

If the wavelengths are exactly out of phase with one another, then they will try and cancel each other out.

Think Safe.

Two beams of light interacting with each other? I thought the question was with regards to a coherent light source interacting with an electric field.
The coherent light will bend in the presence of a strong electric field.

Originally posted by pallidin
Two beams of light interacting with each other? I thought the question was with regards to a coherent light source interacting with an electric field.
The coherent light will bend in the presence of a strong electric field.

Not in any electric field humans can produce! But wouldn't it be cool if we could make lens systems out of nothing but vacuum and radio waves.

large gradiant

whould this be possible with an extremely large gradient on the nth order of light? The longer wavelengths would react less, while the shorter wavelengths would react more.

M2k

What is an Electric Field?

An Electric Field is a region in which an electric charge experiences a force. It can be represented by a vector, with the direction of the vector indicating the direction of the force and the magnitude indicating the strength of the field.

How is an Electric Field demonstrated?

An Electric Field can be demonstrated using various methods, such as using a charged object to attract small pieces of paper, using a Van de Graaff generator to create a large static charge, or using an electroscope to detect the presence of an electric field.

Why is it important to demonstrate Electric Fields?

Demonstrating Electric Fields helps us understand the concept of forces between electric charges and how they interact with each other. It also allows us to visualize and study the properties of electric fields, which have many practical applications in technology.

What factors affect the strength of an Electric Field?

The strength of an Electric Field depends on the magnitude of the charges creating the field and the distance between them. The strength also varies with the type of material in which the field exists, as some materials can enhance or weaken the field.

Can Electric Fields be shielded or blocked?

Yes, Electric Fields can be shielded or blocked by certain materials that do not allow electric charges to pass through them easily. For example, metal is a good conductor and can shield electric fields, while insulators like rubber can block them.