Perpetual Motion - A Magnetic Machine for Endless Energy?

In summary: Originally posted by master_coda Mmm, and liquid nitrogen isn't magnetic, for you to have some magical superconductor which is magnetic and stays so forever you'd probabally need a solid. I'm not aware of any magnetic liquids, as far as I know only metals can maintain a magnetic charge, and (unless someone made some brilliant discovery which I'm unaware of) metal can not be a liquid at the low temperatures which are needed... I don't think it's possible to make a liquid that is both magnetic and a liquid at the same time. Originally posted by Mk I don't think it's possible to make a liquid that is both magnetic and a liquid at the same time.
BOBwatches2muchtv
I BELIEVE I MAY HAVE FOUND A WAY TO PROVIDE A CONTINIOUS SUPPLY OF ENERGY FROM A PERPETUAL MOTION MACHINE THAT USES MAGNETS. COULD IT WORK?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Boy did you goof up. You've gone and let the cat out of the bag! Shoulda kept quite and just made one. You will be a billionaire in total contorl of the worlds energy supply.

We are waiting.~^

I HAVE OTHER IDEAS...

Hurry up and give us ur 'proposed' design so that we can test it for you.

Re-edited, I apologize for the previous version

IN answer to Andy “Hurry up and give us ur 'proposed' design so that we can test it for you."

I don't have much in the way of diagrams.

Last edited:
I hate to be the one to break it to you, but the caps lock key on your keyboard is broken.

Originally posted by master_coda
I hate to be the one to break it to you, but the caps lock key on your keyboard is broken.
...Really...

Oh my GOD! amazing its fixed!

The caps key?
btw: is it tested?

Last edited:
From just interacting with Earth's magnetic field, magnets will loose their charge slowly, Alnico magnets will lose their charge at a rate of .2%-2% a year as stated by most of their manufacturers. When magnets interact with other magnets, the loss of magnetic charge becomes even greater in a short amount of time. So your device might be able to run itself and create excess energy for a certain amount of time, but unless you find some way to maintain their magnetic charges indefinately, it won't be "perpetual motion", since it won't last forever.

Well actually superconductors have no resistance against electrical current and magnetisum, so a superconductor will keep magnetic FOREVER! I have made a sketch of a perpetual motion device, I know there can't be one, but I'm stumped on how it can't work.

Originally posted by Mk
Well actually superconductors have no resistance against electrical current and magnetisum, so a superconductor will keep magnetic FOREVER! I have made a sketch of a perpetual motion device, I know there can't be one, but I'm stumped on how it can't work.

Can superconductors even exist at normal temperatures?

And how does not having a resistance against magnetism mean that it will stay magnetic forever? Can you cite something affirming this?

What's your idea for perpetual motion? Different ideas don't work for different reasons.

Last edited:
Originally posted by wasteofo2
Can superconductors even exist at normal temperatures?

And how does not having a resistance against magnetism mean that it will stay magnetic forever? Can you cite something affirming this?

What's your idea for perpetual motion? Different ideas don't work for different reasons.

Well scientists have not found any superconductors that exist at room temperature. The highest they've found is like 20˚F above liquid nitrogen.

Well I didn't know how to word it but I'm pretty sure that it keeps it's magnetic field perpetually. Well it is basicly a large gear with a weight wedged between two of the teeth, and the weight is attached to two elastic bands on each side. The elastics are attached to a tower on each side of the gear, the gear is suspended by the magnetic field of a superconductor under it, using the messiner effect. You give it a spin and when the gear runs out of momentum the elastic bands are in such a way that they will give the gear an extra push, then when the gear runs out of momentum the elastics give it an extra push...

Originally posted by Mk
Well scientists have not found any superconductors that exist at room temperature. The highest they've found is like 20˚F above liquid nitrogen.

Well I didn't know how to word it but I'm pretty sure that it keeps it's magnetic field perpetually. Well it is basicly a large gear with a weight wedged between two of the teeth, and the weight is attached to two elastic bands on each side. The elastics are attached to a tower on each side of the gear, the gear is suspended by the magnetic field of a superconductor under it, using the messiner effect. You give it a spin and when the gear runs out of momentum the elastic bands are in such a way that they will give the gear an extra push, then when the gear runs out of momentum the elastics give it an extra push...

Mmm, and liquid nitrogen isn't magnetic, for you to have some magical superconductor which is magnetic and stays so forever you'd probabally need a solid. I'm not aware of any magnetic liquids, as far as I know only metals can maintain a magnetic charge, and (unless someone made some brilliant discovery which I'm unaware of) metal can not be a liquid at the low temperatures which are needed superconductors to create superconductors. And until you can cite something showing what properties superconductors have that would allow them to never loose their magnetic charges, I will not take that as a true statement.

What is the point of suspending your machine, what forces would there be affecting it on the ground that there wouldn't be affecting it suspended in air? The obvious problem with that machine, and most all perpetual motion devices, is friction. The gear spinning on its axis causes friction, the gear and weight moving causes air friction, the expansion and contraction of the elastic causes friction. Also, eventually your elastic would snap. If you had some magical materials that would never break and had no friction in a total vacuum there's still the problem of internal friction(for lack of a better phrase) in the elastic. As the elastic expands and contracts, it's particles cause friction with each other.

Last edited:
The only perpetual motion I have observed recently is the beer can to my mouth.

Maybe you can check : http://www.josephnewman.com/

I believe he uses magnets in his blackbox. Links to some QT-movies.

He refers always to JAMES CLERK MAXWELL"In speaking of the Energy of the field, however, I wish to be understood literally. All energy is the same as mechanical energy, whether it exists in the form of motion or in that of elasticity, or in any other form. The energy in electromagnetic phenomena is mechanical energy."

So EM is created by spacetime kinetics.

Sorry to tell you dude, but there already has been a perpetual motion machine made. Do some research on the MEG prodject.

Oh... And if you were able to make it, the government would either buy it from you, or kill you. There is too much money at stake with something like that.

Originally posted by pelastration
Maybe you can check : http://www.josephnewman.com/

I believe he uses magnets in his blackbox. Links to some QT-movies.
Yeah, he's the most famous of all the cranks. He's the one IIRC who successfully sued the USPTO to have his patent application reviewed, then refused to turn over the device for testing. [zz)] In any case, you can read about him in "Voodoo Science: The Road from Foolishness to Fraud" by Robert Park if you are interested.
Sorry to tell you dude, but there already has been a perpetual motion machine made. Do some research on the MEG prodject.
Yeah, I know. I built one too. Send me $30 and I'll send you the plans so you can build one of your own.

In any case, I'm not going to pick apart his test setup to find the error (if I had to guess, its power factor), but his conclusion speaks for itself:
Now, the BEST verification to do is to convert the "apparent" power measured in useable power such as : light, heat, mechanical energy (in motors)... and also, of course, to close the loop... This has not yet been done today.
If the device worked as advertised, closing the loop would be a relatively simple thing.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Stryker

Oh... And if you were able to make it, the government would either buy it from you, or kill you. There is too much money at stake with something like that.
Yes, I can see how something like Mk's idea for an ever-spinning pinwheel would make trillions of dollars, which the government could never allow. They'd probabally launch him into the sun and use his machine to do all sorts of fun pinwheel related things.

Do you think that it would be possible to convert the kenetic energy of a photon into mechanical energy?

Do you think that it would be possible to convert the kenetic energy of a photon into mechanical energy?
Yes, its been done (though the energy isn't kinetic).

The only thing that I know of, (that qualitfies as "perpetual motion") is the Universe, itself, 13.5 Billion years old, and Still Going Strong!

Originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons
The only thing that I know of, (that qualitfies as "perpetual motion") is the Universe, itself, 13.5 Billion years old, and Still Going Strong!
The Universe will end, though. All things do eventualy...

Originally posted by russ_watters
Yes, its been done (though the energy isn't kinetic).

Could you give me an example, or something of the sort. Also, what would the kind of energy be? Constantly traveling at the highest possible velocity, I've always just seen that as kenetic matter. And we would be potential matter. Whatever, I don't know anything.

Could you give me an example, or something of the sort. Also, what would the kind of energy be? Constantly traveling at the highest possible velocity, I've always just seen that as kenetic matter. And we would be potential matter. Whatever, I don't know anything.
Since light doesn't have mass, you wouldn't really call its energy "kinetic." Anyway, there is speculation that you could use the light from the sun to power spacecraft with "solar sails."

Also, ever see the thing that looks like a light bulb with black and white paddle-wheels in it (common physics lab demonstration)? That works on light pressure.

Originally posted by BOBwatches2muchtv
The Universe will end, though. All things do eventualy...
Operative word is "motion", can you prove that in what you call "The End" there is 'stillness' rather then continuing motion?
(P.S. even in the presently suspected/postulated/purported "Heat Death", there would still be movement/motion)

1. What is perpetual motion?

Perpetual motion refers to a hypothetical machine that can continue to operate indefinitely without any external energy source. This means it can produce more energy than it consumes, leading to an endless supply of energy.

2. Is perpetual motion possible?

According to the laws of thermodynamics, perpetual motion is not possible. The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. The second law states that in any energy conversion, some energy is always lost as heat. Therefore, a machine cannot produce more energy than it consumes.

3. What is a magnetic machine for perpetual motion?

A magnetic machine is a type of perpetual motion machine that uses the force of magnets to generate motion and produce energy. The idea behind this concept is that the repelling and attracting forces of magnets can be harnessed to create a continuous movement.

4. Has anyone successfully created a magnetic machine for perpetual motion?

No, there is no evidence of a successful perpetual motion machine. Many inventors and scientists have attempted to create such a machine, but all have failed due to the laws of thermodynamics. Some machines have shown continuous motion, but they eventually stop due to external factors such as friction and air resistance.

5. Why do some people still believe in perpetual motion machines?

Perpetual motion has been a subject of fascination for centuries, and many people continue to believe in the possibility of creating a machine that can produce endless energy. Some may be misled by false claims and misinformation, while others may simply hold onto the hope of finding a solution to our energy needs. However, the laws of thermodynamics remain a fundamental obstacle to the existence of a perpetual motion machine.