Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

b.2.1.4 trig w/ integrating factor

karush

Jan 31, 2012
$\begin{array}{rl}
\textit{Find } \mu(x): &\mu(x) =\exp\left(\int \dfrac{1}{x}\,dx\right)=e^{\ln{x}}=x\\
\textit{multiply thru by x} &xy^\prime+y=3x\cos 2x\\
\textit{rewrite as } &(xy)'=3x\cos 2x \\
\textit{}integrate &xy=\int 3x\cos 2x \, dx=\dfrac{3}{2}x\sin(2x)+\dfrac{3}{4}\cos(2x)+c\\
\textit{divide thru by x} &y=\dfrac{3}{2}\sin(2x)+\dfrac{3}{4}\dfrac{\cos(2x)}{x}+\dfrac{c}{x}\\
\textit{re-order} &y=\dfrac{c}{x}+\dfrac{3}{4}\dfrac{\cos 2x}{x}+\dfrac{3}{2}\sin 2x
\end{array}$

ok quite sure there are some oops in this one
thot I would try array to do the steps so....

hopefully there kinda
Mahalo for input

26 views so far MHB replies on DE

Country Boy

MHB Math Helper
Jan 30, 2018
It would help if you would tell us what the original problem was!

I think it is to solve the differential equation y'+ y/x= 3 cos(2x).

Personally, I wouldn't use the "integrating factor" method at all. I would instead look at this as a linear, non-homogeneous equation. The corresponding homogeneous equation is y'+ y/x= 0 or dy/dx= -y/x so that dy/y= -dx/x. Integrating both sides ln(y)= = -ln(x)+ c and taking the exponential of both sides, y= Cx^-1= C/x (C= e^c). To find a solution to the entire equation, look for a function of the form y= z(x)/x for some function, z. y'= z'/x- z/x^2 so the equation is z'/x- z/x^2+ z/x^2= z'/x= 3 cos(2x).

z'= 3 x cos(2x) and now use integration by parts: let u= 3x, dv= cos(2x). Then du= 3 dx and v= (1/2) sin(2x).
$z= (3/2) x sin(2x)- (3/2)\int sin(2x)dx= (3/2) x sin(2x)+ (3/4) cos(x)$.
I've dropped the "constant of integration" since we only need one such function.

z(x)/x= (3/2) sin(2X)+ (3/4) cos(x)/x so the full solution is

y(x)= C/x+ (3/2) sin(2X)+ (3/4) cos(x)/x

That's exactly what you have! Well done! (To both of us!)

Last edited: