How do I configure my network with a new switch and router?

• Thread starter BlackJack
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Network
In summary: HBar If you have a router that you can connect directly to the modem, then you can skip step 1. If you don't have a router that you can connect directly to the modem, then you will need to configure the router to act as a switch.
BlackJack
*sigh*

I bought today a new switch and tried to setup my little network. Now the situation is like this. 2 PC's are connected to a switch (Type: FS605 v2). The switch is then connected to a router (Type: RP614). The router is then connected to my little modem :smile:. When I try to ping my router I get no answer... . What should I do ? Switch the switch and the router ? Or could it be that the bloody cable is faulty ? (I don't hope that's the case but if it is somebody is going to pay )

Please help :smile:

PS: Read "network help" for more info

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=9868

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Update: Now I changed the settings. The router is now where the switch was. I can configure now the router which wasn't possible before. Could really a cable be faulty ? How can I test that ?

Seems like you have a little problem :wink:

can you list out EXACTLY how you have the cables hooked up.

example:
1. cable modem connected to WAN of router.
2. Computer 1 is connected to LAN of router

Also specify which computer your pinging from and how it is hooked up in relation to the other devices.

If it goes on like this I going to shoot my cablemodem.

I connected now my pc DIRECTLY with the cablemodem but when I try to establish a connection the software from the company says: standard gateway couldn't be configured and stops :frown:. I'll go to them tomorrow and bash they're bloody heads in . I need cable

Were you using a crossover when you hooked directly up to the modem? You're going to have to.
2 PC's are connected to a switch (Type: FS605 v2). The switch is then connected to a router (Type: RP614). The router is then connected to my little modem .
This would work better:
computers -> switch
switch -> modem

If you insist on using the router then disable all the features on it so it acts like a switch or hub.

-HBar

Last edited:
Originally posted by HBar
Were you using a crossover when you hooked directly up to the modem? You're going to have to. This would work better:
computers -> switch
switch -> modem

If you insist on using the router then disable all the features on it so it acts like a switch or hub.

-HBar

And that would work HOW, if his cablemodem isn't a router as well? ;)

What cable company is this? TimeWarner? Cox?

Internet > Router > Switch > Computers

That setup will be fine if done right.

There needs to be more information posted to fix this though.

Originally posted by phatmonky
Internet > Router > Switch > Computers
That is the correct setup (most of us have the router and switch in the same package).

FYI, most cable modems ARE routers, just not NAT routers (they are real routers). The problem of course becomes where to get the IP addresses - you have to buy them from the cable company.

Blackjack, check your indicator lights to make sure you have a good connection between hardware (and check in your instruction manuals for the type of cable - patch or crossover - you need). Assuming the router has a built-in switch, connect one of the lan ports to the wan port of the second switch and connect the wan port on the router to the cable modem.

Set up the computers to "obtain ip address automatically" and log onto the router to run its setup applet. You don't need to install any software, but the router likely won't work right unless you configure it.

1. What is the purpose of configuring a network?

The purpose of configuring a network is to establish communication between devices and ensure that data is transmitted accurately and securely. It also allows for efficient use of network resources and enables devices to connect to the internet.

2. What are the components involved in configuring a network?

The components involved in configuring a network include network devices such as routers, switches, and hubs, network cables, IP addresses, subnet masks, and network protocols.

3. How do I configure a network?

To configure a network, you first need to determine the network topology, which is the layout of the network. Then, assign IP addresses and subnet masks to each device, set up network protocols, and configure network devices such as routers and switches.

4. What is the difference between static and dynamic IP addresses?

A static IP address is manually assigned to a device and remains the same, while a dynamic IP address is automatically assigned by a server and can change each time a device connects to the network. Static IP addresses are typically used for servers, while dynamic IP addresses are used for devices that need to connect to the internet intermittently.

5. How can I troubleshoot network configuration issues?

To troubleshoot network configuration issues, you can use tools such as ping and traceroute to test connectivity and identify any faulty devices or connections. You can also check the network settings and configurations on devices to ensure they are correct.