Troubleshooting Fax Issues on a LAN: What Could Be the Problem?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties in sending a fax through a LAN connection. The conversation suggests using a fax machine or finding an internet fax service as alternatives. It also advises providing specific information when asking for help in the future.
Saint
My notebook is connected to LAN, I tried to send fax over LAN, but couldn't!
Why?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Thanks for the info. Care to elaborate?

Ya, do you actually have a fax machine, or are you just trying to send it through software?

I know yahoo has (had) a thing with its mail that allowed you to fax things, never used it myself. I think there some software in windows to help you out.

in windows XP there is a Fax software bundled together with the OS, with dial up modem, i can use it to send fax. But i can't do it when my PC is connected to internet via LAN.

Do you understand me ?

That's because when you use your modem in your laptop to send a fax, it's not dialing into the internet. It's pretending to be a regular fax machine and is just dialing the fax number directly.

If you want to send a fax over your LAN connection to the internet, you have to find an internet fax service.

All in all, it's much easier to just find a phone line to send a fax from your computer.

thanks, i know what to do now

Saint, for future reference, please be more specific in your questions. Your first post gave me abosolutely nothing to work on. It was like saying I have a problem, how do fix it. You don't give any background information, what OS your using, what you actually tried, etc. In your second post you were clear in what you tried and made it easy for someone to answer your question. Please keep this in mind the next time you have a question.

1. What is Fax over LAN?

Fax over LAN is the process of sending a fax document over a local area network (LAN) using a fax server or software. It allows users to send and receive faxes digitally without the need for a traditional fax machine and phone line.

2. How does Fax over LAN work?

Fax over LAN works by converting a digital fax document into a format that can be transmitted over a network, such as PDF or TIFF. The fax server then sends the document to the recipient's fax machine or email address. The recipient can then view the fax digitally or print it out.

3. Can I send a fax over LAN without a fax machine?

Yes, you can send a fax over LAN without a traditional fax machine. Fax server software can be installed on a computer or server, allowing users to send and receive faxes digitally over a local area network.

4. Do I need a dedicated phone line for Fax over LAN?

No, you do not need a dedicated phone line for Fax over LAN. The fax document is transmitted digitally over the network, eliminating the need for a physical phone line and saving costs.

5. Is Fax over LAN secure?

Fax over LAN can be secure if proper security measures are in place, such as encryption and user authentication. However, it is important to ensure that the network and fax server are protected against cyber threats to prevent unauthorized access to sensitive fax documents.