Axis question for electricity experiment question.

If we plot G on the Y axis, we get a straight line with slope V, and the cool thing is that the slope is the same for any two points on the line. Therefore, plotting current on the Y axis in this experiment makes it easier to see the relationship between current and p.d. In summary, when conducting an experiment to demonstrate the relationship between current and p.d. in an electrolyte, it is advised to plot current on the Y axis in order to easily visualize and understand the relationship. This convention is based on the fact that conductance is the reciprocal of resistance, making the slope of the graph equal to the p.d. and allowing for easier interpretation of the data.
Darth Frodo
In an experiment to demonstarte relationship between current and p.d. in an electrilyte the book says to plot current on the Y axis. Why is this?

V = IR
R = V/I

I always assumed when you plot graphs, the slope must equal the constant.

Any input appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Darth Frodo said:
In an experiment to demonstarte relationship between current and p.d. in an electrilyte the book says to plot current on the Y axis. Why is this?

V = IR
R = V/I

I always assumed when you plot graphs, the slope must equal the constant.

Any input appreciated.

It's not an unbreakable rule, merely a convenience and convention. If it bothers you, consider that Conductance (G, in Siemens) is the reciprocal of Resistance (R, in Ohms). Thus I = V*G.

Related to Axis question for electricity experiment question.

1. What is an axis in an electricity experiment?

In an electricity experiment, an axis is a reference line or point around which measurements or movements are made. It helps to establish a standard for comparison and analysis.

2. How is an axis used in an electricity experiment?

An axis is used to represent a specific variable or measurement in an electricity experiment. It can be plotted on a graph to show the relationship between different variables, such as current and voltage.

3. What are the types of axes used in an electricity experiment?

The two main types of axes used in an electricity experiment are the x-axis and the y-axis. The x-axis represents the independent variable, while the y-axis represents the dependent variable.

4. How do you determine the appropriate axis for an electricity experiment?

The appropriate axis for an electricity experiment depends on the type of data being collected and the relationship between the variables. The independent variable is typically placed on the x-axis, while the dependent variable is placed on the y-axis.

5. Can an axis be changed during an electricity experiment?

Yes, an axis can be changed during an electricity experiment if necessary. This may occur if new data is collected or if the relationship between the variables changes. However, it is important to clearly label any changes made to the axis to avoid confusion.