Inductance of a triaxial cable

In summary, Marcus is a new member of the forum seeking sources for information on inductance calculations for unconventional geometries, specifically a triaxial conductor with three concentric cylindrical conductors. Although triaxial cables are commonly used in high-frequency applications, there is limited theory available in books or journals. The inductance on the innermost conductor can be calculated using reference books, but the presence of a ground on the outermost conductor will affect the inductance of the second conductor. The impedance between the innermost and second conductor is a more important factor in practical use of triaxial cables.
myoung7
Hello, I'm a new member of the forum.

Are there any good sources of information available that contain (and explain) inductance calculations for various symmetrical (but unconventional) geometries? I'm interested in a triaxial conductor that is similar to a coax in geometric make-up, but there are three concentric cylindrical conductors instead of two. I know that triaxial cables exist (mostly for small signal high frequency apps), but I cannot find any theory about them in books or journals. If someone in this forum can help me or point me in the right direction, I would deeply appreciate it.

Thanks,

Marcus

Engineering news on Phys.org
For a start, the inductance on the innermost conductor should not change in triax, so the reference books will help you there - just treat it like coax.

Typically, the outermost conductor is grounded to act as a shield. The presence of the ground surrounding the second conductor will affect its inductance. I've never seen such a calculation and I never seemed to need know this when I've used triax. What mattered to me was the impedance between the innermost & second conductor.

Hello Marcus,

Welcome to the forum! Inductance is an important factor to consider in any cable design, and the inductance of a triaxial cable can be calculated using the same principles as a coaxial cable. However, the presence of a third conductor does add some complexity to the calculation.

One good source of information on inductance calculations for unconventional geometries is the book "Transmission Line Design Handbook" by Brian C. Wadell. It covers inductance calculations for various symmetrical geometries, including triaxial conductors.

Another useful resource is the website of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), which has a variety of articles and papers on cable design and inductance calculations. You can also search for specific papers or studies on triaxial cables in their database.

In terms of journals, the IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility and the IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques are good places to look for information on unconventional cable geometries.

I hope this helps point you in the right direction for your research on triaxial cables. Best of luck!

1. What is inductance?

Inductance is a property of an electrical circuit that describes the ability of a circuit to store energy in the form of a magnetic field when an electric current flows through it.

2. How is inductance measured?

Inductance is measured in units called Henrys (H). It can be measured using an inductance meter or calculated using the formula L = N * Φ/I, where L is inductance, N is the number of turns in the coil, Φ is the magnetic flux, and I is the current flowing through the coil.

3. What is a triaxial cable?

A triaxial cable is a type of cable that consists of three conducting layers - a central core, an inner shield, and an outer shield. It is commonly used in sensitive electronic applications where a high level of shielding and low noise interference is required.

4. How does the inductance of a triaxial cable differ from a regular cable?

The inductance of a triaxial cable is typically lower than a regular cable due to the presence of the inner and outer shields. These shields help to reduce the external electromagnetic interference, resulting in a lower inductance and better performance in sensitive applications.

5. What factors affect the inductance of a triaxial cable?

The inductance of a triaxial cable is affected by its physical dimensions, such as the length, diameter, and spacing between the layers. The material and thickness of the conductors and shields also play a significant role in determining the inductance. Additionally, the frequency and current flowing through the cable can also impact its inductance.