I've created some new formulas in trigonometry (perhaps)

In summary, Vance and Arildno discuss two formulas, one for finding the area of a circumscribed circle of a triangle and the other for finding the area of a triangle using its side lengths. They also discuss different methods for deriving the second formula and congratulate each other on their findings.
man_fire
Hi all,
I'm a newbie here and sorry for my bad English.
I want to share with you guys 2 formulas I've created luckily on a boring day:
1) Let R be circumscribed circle of triangle ABC, let S be it's area.
We have: S=2R^2*sinAsinBsinC
2)Let S be area of triangle ABC, a=BC, b=CA, c=AB.
We have:(a+b+c)^2 >= S*12*(3^0.5)
Did anyone know these before? If didn't, please reply to me.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Have you used Heron's formula in deriving 2)?

Is this the way you brought that form up ?

[tex]S=\frac{1}{2}absinC[/tex]

just multiply till we get [tex]S^3=\frac{1}{8}a^2b^2c^2sinAsinBsinC[/tex]

finally use the relationship between R and a, sinA; b, sinB ; c and sinC, substitute them all in the above S to get that result...

if that's da way you did, you did made a success, you found it out before me...lol

Good luck on your next try..lol

Hello Vance,
You're a genius because you've found out a better way to get the result than I have. I brought that form up from:
S=abc/4R
and: S=0.5*absinC. It's so messy.
Thanks for your consideration.

Hello Arildno,
I didn't use Heron's formula in deriving 2).
Here is my solvation:
cotang(A/2) + cotang(B/2) + cotang(C/2) >= 3*cotang((A+B+C)/6)=3*3^(1/2)
and:
cotang(A/2) = cos(A/2) / sin(A/2). We multiply both numerator and denominator with 2cos(A/2). Simply numerator = 1+cosA, and denominator = sinA. Now we multiply both of them with bc --->numerator=bc+bccosA; denominator=bcsinA=2S.
Let's take care of the numerator. From cos theorem: a^2=b^2 + c^2 - 2bccosA ---->bccosA = (b^2 + c^2 - a^2)/2.
With all of this, we go to:
cotang(A/2) = ((b+c)^2 - a^2)/4S.
It's the same with cotang(B/2) and cotang(C/2).

1. What is trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It is used to calculate unknown angles or sides of a triangle when given certain information.

2. Why is trigonometry important?

Trigonometry is used in many fields such as engineering, physics, astronomy, and architecture. It is also used to solve real-world problems involving angles and distances.

3. What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions are used to relate the angles of a triangle to the lengths of its sides.

4. How do I use trigonometric formulas to solve problems?

To use trigonometric formulas, you must first identify the type of triangle you are working with (right, acute, or obtuse) and the given information (angles or sides). Then, use the appropriate formula to calculate the unknown values.

5. Can trigonometry be applied in the real world?

Yes, trigonometry is used in various real-world applications such as navigation, surveying, and building structures. It is also used in fields such as music and art.