Exploring the World of Wine: Personal Recommendations

• Thread starter Zantra
  • Start date
In summary: I never did it, but I've heard that a lot of kids got taken advantage of.In summary, Kerrie says that she likes light sweet wines, Reisling, Muller-Turgau, White Zin, and Gervertztminer. She is out of touch with specific vineyards, but finds that if she sticks to wines of these types she will like them. Sting likes Pinot Noir and Chardenays, but finds them too much in oak. Kerrie does not drink wine as a status symbol, and is aware that she is a lightweight wine drinker.
Zantra
This is for all you wine drinkers out there(there must be some folks over 25... hehe) I've been aquiring a taste for wine of late- my beer days are over. I've had my share of beer, and then some, but with age comes maturity(in other words I'm tired of the hangovers). And so I've been venturing to broaden my horizons and culture myself a bit.

I'm a big fan of the entry level wines($8-20- no wine in a box, thank you). I've had some of the more refine wines, and I've had a smattering of the high end wines. though my tastebuds aren't attuned quite yet, I had this excellent glass of high end wine, and although I can't yet see a huge differnce between the low and the mid, this high end wine blew the others away- was a merlot, but unfortunately I didn't catch the name. But I was assured it was over $100.

My favorite wine at the moment(granted my experience is limited) is blackstone, and I'm a big fan of merlots and cabernets. I'm currently enjoying a beringer(I know I know) merlot, and it's smooth, but by no means excellent. Fruity, with a pear vibe. Kendall Jackson makes an excellent white wine- 2000 preferred stock, but their red wines are not quite as good- too rough for my taste. Too much tanic(acidic).

Anyhow, what's your favorite wine? I'm looking for recommendations. there's a myriad of websites on this subject, but as there are as many wines as there are websites on the subject, I prefer personal recommendations- I've found those to be more reliable.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no such thing as a "bad" white zin.

Originally posted by Bystander
There is no such thing as a "bad" white zin.

haven't had a lot of white zinfindel.

mmm, dessert wines *drooool*

but before getting that drunk i like a good reisling, merlot is also an old favourite i spose, i really like the newer sweet reislings, they are just divine.

i have heard that white zin is the "beginner" wine...

not sure about elsewhere, but here in Oregon at Trader Joe's (sort of an alternative grocery store) they sell Charles Shaw for $3.00 a bottle...and it's not bad! it just so happens that there is an abundance of grapes to make this wine...

I like Gevrey-Chambertin and Vosne-Romaneé, because they come from the same villages that the great ones that I can't get come from. Even so, it's about once every three years. For the rest of the time, I am fortunate to live near a thriving pinot noir area, so I have many choices with local stuff. I love pinot noir.

It just depends on the meal.

One thing for sure, my pallate cannot tolerate Pinot Noir (something about it that displeases me. Nose is fine but the taste cannot be appreciated).

Oh, and I'm 20 years old so don't tell anyone. :smile:

Originally posted by Kerrie
i have heard that white zin is the "beginner" wine...

not sure about elsewhere, but here in Oregon at Trader Joe's (sort of an alternative grocery store) they sell Charles Shaw for $3.00 a bottle...and it's not bad! it just so happens that there is an abundance of grapes to make this wine...

Ya we have trader joes by me too. The charles shaw is pretty decent for the price, but by no means underpriced.

I have been heaering rieslings as a repeated recommendation. I'll have to try one sometime soon. Any recommendations for the best riesling?

Originally posted by Sting
Oh, and I'm 20 years old so don't tell anyone. :smile:

wine is something that many europeans "underage" drink...in Canada the legal drinking age is 19...

I tend towards light sweet wines, Reisling, Muller-Turgau, White Zin, and Gervertztminer, are some of my favorites. There are a number of good ones, I like most Willamette Vinyards wines, though depending upon the year they can be a bit dry. I am out of touch with specific vineyards but find that if I stick to wines of these types I will like them.

Sting, I am with you I do not care much for Pinot Noir nor for Chardenays, and in general anything that spends a lot of time in oak. To much tanic acid does not suit me.

I am also aware that this makes me a pretty light weight wine drinker, but that is ok, I do not drink it as a status symbol.

Originally posted by Kerrie
wine is something that many europeans "underage" drink...in Canada the legal drinking age is 19...

In Wisconsin, the drinking age is 18 (or was when I lived there)but if you're with mom or dad, you can drink ANYTHING (scotch, vodka, etc) at any age. On Saturday mornings, all the dads would haul their small children down to the taverns to get them out of mom's hair while she cleaned house. Dad would share his beer with the kids (ages 2 to about 10 or 12)until they fell asleep in the booths, and then he'd sit and watch the Packers with the guys. Many of my friends in high school were already alcoholics! Sweet.

I'm with you, Integral! Gervertztminer is one of my all time favorites. And the oak thing? - the only way I like oak anywhere near what I eat or drink is between hot coals and a steak on a barbeque. The oak gives steak such a wonderful flavor - much better than any other wood. This is a trick I learned growing up in central California. YUMMMMMMMM!:smile:

Oo Oo..:smile: I just remembered the the name of the label of my favorite Gervertztminer - Pieroth (from Germany). WONDERFUL!

1. What makes a good wine?

A good wine is one that you enjoy drinking. However, there are certain characteristics that can make a wine stand out, such as balance, complexity, and depth of flavor. It is also important to consider the quality of the grapes, the winemaking process, and the aging potential of the wine.

2. How do I pair wine with food?

Pairing wine with food is all about finding complementary flavors. Generally, lighter wines, such as white wines, pair well with lighter dishes like seafood or salads, while fuller-bodied wines, like red wines, go well with heartier dishes like steak or pasta. However, there are no hard and fast rules, so feel free to experiment and find what works best for your palate.

3. What is the difference between Old World and New World wines?

Old World wines refer to wines that are produced in traditional European wine regions, such as France, Italy, and Spain. These wines tend to be more terroir-driven, meaning they reflect the characteristics of the specific region where they are produced. New World wines, on the other hand, are produced in countries such as the United States, Argentina, and Australia. These wines tend to be more fruit-forward and focus on the grape variety rather than the region.

4. How do I properly store wine?

Wine should be stored in a cool, dark place with a consistent temperature between 45-65 degrees Fahrenheit. It is also important to store wine on its side to keep the cork moist and prevent it from drying out. Avoid storing wine in areas that are prone to vibration or fluctuations in temperature, such as near a window or on top of a refrigerator.

5. What is the best way to taste wine?

The best way to taste wine is to use your senses. Start by looking at the color and clarity of the wine, then swirl it in the glass to release its aromas. Next, take a sniff and try to identify any aromas. Finally, take a sip and let the wine coat your entire mouth, paying attention to the flavors and textures. Don't be afraid to take your time and really savor the wine.