Where Can I Find Affordable Bulk Chemicals for Scientific Research?

• Thread starter kronchev
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemicals
In summary, calcium carbide is a hazardous material that is expensive to buy in large quantities, and can be found at www.froogle.com. It is also dangerous because it produces Acetelyne gas. Battery powered carbide lamps are the current choice for caving, as they do not require any oxygen and are cheaper to replace.
kronchev
By "bulk chemical" i mean I need a pound of calcium carbide. anyone know where to get it? If i get it under its laymans headng, as in the stuff used for hobbying, its kind of expensive, esp for a large quantity. I assume this is markup.

Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Calcium Carbide is a Hazardous material, so anywhere you're going to be buying it from is going to have a $60 dollar fee just for shipping.

Beren said:
Calcium Carbide is a Hazardous material, so anywhere you're going to be buying it from is going to have a $60 dollar fee just for shipping.

actually i just found a place that ships 500g (plenty) for $8, not sure on shipping, but I am sure its not that much. after all, the substance isn't dangerous by itself and only really reactive with water

By the way

I read recently that carbide lamps are no longer sold in the United States. What do cavers use these days?

Janitor said:
I read recently that carbide lamps are no longer sold in the United States. What do cavers use these days?

batteries. use no oxygen, cheap to replace, last longer, and much less accidents.

CaCl2 isn't dangerous, it forms a hydrate with water. That's what damp-rid is, CaCl2. I wouldn't eat it though.

thunderfvck said:
CaCl2 isn't dangerous, it forms a hydrate with water. That's what damp-rid is, CaCl2. I wouldn't eat it though.

Yes it isn't dangerous, however it produces Acetelyne gas which is extremely flammable. They use it in blowtorches afterall.

chloride
carbide
what's the dern difference anyway?

Calcium Carbide = [tex]CaC_2[/tex]

Calcium Chloride = [tex]CaCl_2[/tex]

Huge difference ! The former reacts with water to make ethylene. The latter is used as a dessicant, to keep things safe from moisture.

Why oh why did I mention calcium chloride?

Try www.calcium-carbide.com. They sell a pound (450g) for $12.50, and this includes S&H.

If you need a lot more,

VWR sells 80% CaC2 @ $22.40 per 1000g tin and $86.70 for a 5-pack. This does not include S&H.

PS : Shipping is cheap if you don't mind waiting a few days, ie. ship by truck.
However, if you need next day delivery, then shipping will increase ten-fold because of new regulations on air-cargo handling.

Last edited:
I recently paid over a hundred bucks for shipping a tiny 50cc bottle of Gallium - FedEx overnight.

1. Where can I buy bulk chemicals?

There are several options for purchasing bulk chemicals. You can buy them directly from manufacturers, through distributors, or from online chemical suppliers. It is important to research and compare prices, as well as ensure that the supplier is reputable and provides high-quality chemicals.

2. Can I purchase bulk chemicals from a local store?

It is possible to find some bulk chemicals at local stores, such as hardware or agricultural supply stores. However, these stores may have limited options and may not offer the same level of quality as specialized chemical suppliers. It is recommended to compare prices and options from various sources before making a purchase.

3. Are there any safety concerns when buying bulk chemicals?

Yes, there are some safety considerations to keep in mind when purchasing bulk chemicals. It is important to ensure that the supplier follows proper safety protocols and provides safety data sheets (SDS) for each chemical. Additionally, make sure to handle and store the chemicals properly to prevent accidents or exposure.

4. Do I need any special permits or licenses to buy bulk chemicals?

The requirements for purchasing bulk chemicals may vary depending on the type of chemical and your location. Some chemicals may require a permit or license, and it is important to research and comply with any regulations before making a purchase. If you are unsure, consult with a professional or government agency for guidance.

5. Is it more cost-effective to buy bulk chemicals?

In most cases, buying bulk chemicals is more cost-effective than purchasing smaller quantities. However, it is important to consider the initial investment and storage requirements for bulk chemicals. It is recommended to do a cost analysis and compare prices from different sources to determine the most cost-effective option for your specific needs.