Ax+by=c is a straight line. When b=0 then it is // to y-axis

In summary, this is a conversation about a linear equation in the plane. If b=0 then the line is parallel with the y-axis, but otherwise it has a slope -a/b.
CynicusRex
Gold Member
Am I forgetting some critical basic knowledge?
It says: In the plane (identified by R^2) a linear equation ax+by=c is a straight line. If b=0 then this straight line is parallel with the y-axis; in the other case it is a straight line with slope -a/b. A (2 by 2)-system linear equation.

Why is it parallel? If you make b=0 in ax+by=c you still get a straight line. Or should I see it as: b y = -ax + c

hNGwASW.jpg

5R9ORRJ.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
TheBlackAdder said:
Is this a mistake in the textbook or am I forgetting some critical basic knowledge?
It says: In the plane (identified by R^2) a linear equation ax+by=c is a straight line. If b=0 then this straight line is parallel with the y-axis; in the other case it is a straight line with slope -a/b.
Take the equation for the line and set b = 0. Solve for x. What do you get?

Since there are three constants here, namely a, b, and c, the 'other case' is not clear, since we have discussed what happens when b = 0. In any event, take the original equation for the line and set a = 0 or c = 0 and see what remains.

Likes CynicusRex
TheBlackAdder said:
Is this a mistake in the textbook or am I forgetting some critical basic knowledge?
In the plane (identified by R^2) a linear equation ax+by=c is a straight line. If b=0 then this straight line is parallel with the y-axis;
Why is it parallel? If you make b=0 in ax+by=c you still get a straight line.
If a line is parallel with a straight line, is not it a straight line?
If b=0 ax=-c, this is a straight line, but where? Does it intercept the y axis? So is this line parallel with the y-axis (or coincide with it) ?

Likes CynicusRex
I'm literally speechless on how I missed that. I'm incredibly rusty in the basics of math. I thought ax = c was the same as ax + 0 = y.
I didn't figure c as a constant.

a, b, c are all constants.

I'm used to seeing y on the other side of the equation symbol (as slope intercept form). That's why I thought on c being just another solution variable.
Anyway, thank you. Can't wait for feeling bad on the next blunder.

TheBlackAdder said:
I'm used to seeing y on the other side of the equation symbol (as slope intercept form). That's why I thought on c being just another solution variable.
Anyway, thank you. Can't wait for feeling bad on the next blunder.
By the way:

Welcome to PF !

Likes CrazyNinja, CynicusRex and gracy

Related to Ax+by=c is a straight line. When b=0 then it is // to y-axis

1. What does the equation Ax+by=c represent?

The equation Ax+by=c represents a linear equation in standard form, where A and B are constants and x and y are variables. It describes a straight line on a graph.

2. How do I know if a line is parallel to the y-axis?

If the equation Ax+by=c has a coefficient of 0 for the y variable (b=0), then the line is parallel to the y-axis. This means that the line is vertical and has no slope.

3. Can a line be parallel to the y-axis and intersect the x-axis?

No, a line that is parallel to the y-axis will never intersect the x-axis. This is because the y-axis is perpendicular to the x-axis and a line parallel to it will never cross it.

4. How can I graph a line that is parallel to the y-axis?

To graph a line that is parallel to the y-axis, you can plot two points that have the same x-coordinate and connect them with a straight line. This will result in a vertical line parallel to the y-axis.

5. What is the significance of a line being parallel to the y-axis?

A line that is parallel to the y-axis has a slope of 0, which means that it has no incline or decline. This type of line is useful for describing relationships between variables that do not change in relation to each other.