Average Velocity Race Question

In summary, average velocity is zero at the end of the third lap because the car is right back where it started.
Chica1975

Homework Statement

During a race on an oval track a car travels at an average speed of 200km/h. a) How far did it travel in 45.0mins? b) determine its average velocity at the end of its 3rd lap.

Homework Equations

ok I worked out part a of the question and that is fine. But logically I can't figure out why the answer to the second part of the question would be 0. Can anyone explain why the average velocity at the end of the 3rd lap would be 0? thanks

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
If I were to guess, I would think that since velocity is a vector, at the end of the third lap, the car would technically be in the same place that it started, thus having no displacement, or since the track is oval, on an x-y plane, the car would have both positive and negative velocities in both the x and y plane, so they would probably cancel each other out.

Still not sure though, sorry

p.s. Sorry If the second one doesn't make much sense, i probably explained it horribly

Chica1975 said:

Homework Statement

During a race on an oval track a car travels at an average speed of 200km/h. a) How far did it travel in 45.0mins? b) determine its average velocity at the end of its 3rd lap.

Homework Equations

ok I worked out part a of the question and that is fine. But logically I can't figure out why the answer to the second part of the question would be 0. Can anyone explain why the average velocity at the end of the 3rd lap would be 0? thanks

Average velocity is determined by the total displacement (from a starting position) over the total time. Since the car is right back where it started after every lap, that displacement is zero at that moment.

Average speed is another matter; It takes into account the actual distance traveled rather than the displacement.

of course - I know this I don't know what I was thinking. Sometimes I just go blank!

Thank you!

gneill said:
Average velocity is determined by the total displacement (from a starting position) over the total time. Since the car is right back where it started after every lap, that displacement is zero at that moment.

Average speed is another matter; It takes into account the actual distance traveled rather than the displacement.

Yea, what he said, haha I guess I kinda had that in my explanation, but had a brain fart and forgot about the total displacement over total time.

:) I got it tho - am so grateful for this forum - never would have made it thru physics without it.

haha, me neither, I've gone on here to find any kind of help that I needed and was able to find it almost every time :)

Related to Average Velocity Race Question

1. What is average velocity?

Average velocity is the displacement of an object divided by the time it took to travel that distance. It is a measure of the overall rate at which an object is moving.

2. How is average velocity different from average speed?

While average velocity takes into account the direction of motion, average speed only considers the distance traveled without regard to direction. Average velocity is a vector quantity, while average speed is a scalar quantity.

3. How is average velocity calculated?

To calculate average velocity, you divide the change in position by the change in time, using the formula: average velocity = (final position - initial position) / (total time).

4. What is the unit of measurement for average velocity?

The unit of measurement for average velocity is meters per second (m/s) in the metric system and feet per second (ft/s) in the imperial system.

5. Can average velocity be negative?

Yes, average velocity can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction that was chosen as the reference point. For example, if a car travels south and then north, its average velocity would be negative because it is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen reference point (north).