Average velocity just simply be the average speed

In summary, the conversation discusses two physics problems, one involving finding the average velocity of a car traveling at different speeds and distances, and the other involving finding the average velocity of a person walking and running. The correct solutions for both problems are provided with the help of an expert.
J-Girl
Hi peeps, i just started intro physics but finding it sort of difficult, and attempting to do some questions but just not quite sure if I am doing it right. would so appreciate any kind of help, my teacher doesn't seem to break it down enough for me lol. can somebody just check my work, and let me know if I am right or wrong?:)
1)A car is driven 40km at 30km/h. it then continues in the same direction for another 40km at 60km/h. what is the average velocity of the car during this 80 km trip?
In this question, would the average velocity just simply be the average speed, as its just going in one positive direction? As the 80 km took 120 minutes all up, it is just displacement/time, and the answer is 40km/h?

2) average velocity of these two cases:
a) you walk 73.2m at a speed of 1.22m/s, and then run 73.2m, at a speed of 3.05m/s along a straight track.
73.2/1.22=60m/s
73.2/3.05=24m/s
60+24/2= 42m/s= average velocity

b)You walk for 1minute at a speed of 1.22m/s, and then run for 1minute at 3.05m/s
60 x 1.22= 73.2m
60 x 3.05=183m
73.2+183=256.2-total displacement
120 seconds=total time
so 256.2/120=2.135m/s = average velocity

please let me know if I am right, id really appreciate some help:), i know theyre easy questions but I am not very confident with physics at all!:(

Physics news on Phys.org

J-Girl said:
1)A car is driven 40km at 30km/h. it then continues in the same direction for another 40km at 60km/h. what is the average velocity of the car during this 80 km trip?
In this question, would the average velocity just simply be the average speed, as its just going in one positive direction? As the 80 km took 120 minutes all up, it is just displacement/time, and the answer is 40km/h?
Good!

2) average velocity of these two cases:
a) you walk 73.2m at a speed of 1.22m/s, and then run 73.2m, at a speed of 3.05m/s along a straight track.
73.2/1.22=60m/s
73.2/3.05=24m/s
60+24/2= 42m/s= average velocity
Redo this one. You're mixing up speed and time. Solve it just like the others: total displacement over total time.

b)You walk for 1minute at a speed of 1.22m/s, and then run for 1minute at 3.05m/s
60 x 1.22= 73.2m
60 x 3.05=183m
73.2+183=256.2-total displacement
120 seconds=total time
so 256.2/120=2.135m/s = average velocity
Good!

ohh i see, yeah that's definitely not right:) thanks for pointing it out. so total time is 73.2/1.22m/s= 60 sec
73.2/3.05m/s=24 seconds
total distance = 73.2 x 2=146.4m
velocity is 146.4/84=1.743m/s..hope that's right! thankyou for your input it really helps:)

J-Girl said:
so total time is 73.2/1.22m/s= 60 sec
73.2/3.05m/s=24 seconds
total distance = 73.2 x 2=146.4m
velocity is 146.4/84=1.743m/s..hope that's right!
Now you've got it. :approve:

Hi there! It's great that you are trying to understand and work on your physics questions. To answer your first question, yes, the average velocity in this case would simply be the average speed. This is because the car is moving in one direction and there is no change in direction or acceleration involved. So, the average velocity would be 40km/120 minutes = 1/3 km/minute = 40km/h.

For the second question, your calculations and understanding seem to be correct. In both cases, the average velocity is simply the total displacement divided by the total time taken. Keep practicing and seeking help when needed, and you will definitely get more confident in physics. Good luck!

Related to Average velocity just simply be the average speed

1. What is the difference between average velocity and average speed?

While both average velocity and average speed are measures of how fast an object is moving, there is a key difference between the two. Average velocity takes into account both the magnitude (speed) and direction of an object's motion, while average speed only considers the magnitude.

2. Can average velocity and average speed ever be the same?

Yes, there are certain situations where the average velocity and average speed of an object will be the same. This occurs when the object is moving in a straight line with a constant speed, as the direction of motion does not change.

3. Is average velocity always a positive value?

No, average velocity can be positive, negative, or even zero. It depends on the direction of the object's motion. If the object is moving in the positive direction, the average velocity will be positive. If the object is moving in the negative direction, the average velocity will be negative. And if the object is not moving at all, the average velocity will be zero.

4. How is average velocity calculated?

The formula for average velocity is displacement divided by time, or v = d/t. Displacement refers to the change in position of an object, while time refers to the duration of the motion. So, to calculate average velocity, we simply divide the change in position by the time it took to make that change.

5. Why is it important to consider the direction of an object's motion when calculating average velocity?

Considering the direction of motion is crucial in accurately describing an object's movement. For example, if a car travels 60 miles north and then 60 miles south in the same amount of time, its average velocity would be zero even though its average speed is 60 miles per hour. This shows that average velocity gives us a more complete understanding of an object's motion than average speed alone.