Average Velocity from Velocity Profile

In summary, The individual is requesting assistance in calculating the average velocity from velocity profiles at different lateral positions in a channel. They are unsure of which equation or literature to use, and have provided a sample datasheet for reference. They mention using a weighted average if the points are not evenly spaced, and suggest calculating a formula based on the discrete points. However, they acknowledge that this may not accurately represent velocity between the points. They also mention having measurements of ADV in a laboratory flume, with point velocity at different depths and widths of a cross section. They are unclear on how to calculate the average velocity for this setup and also mention having the discharge value. They clarify that the left wall is at y=0 and the right wall is at
Rupayan0504041
Hi
I have velocity profiles at different lateral position of a channel. I want to calculate average velocity from velocity profile at those position. Can you suggest me any equation or literature?
I attached here a sample datasheet also.

Attachments

• 1.xlsx
    10.8 KB · Views: 454
Physics news on Phys.org
If you just have a bunch of discrete points, why not just take the mean?

these are the discrete points at different depth so it will make logarithmic V profile so for maximum and mean which equation should I follow? Is it just mean of this discrete points?

If they are evenly spaced, then the mean velocity is just the mean of the points. If they aren't evenly spaced you may need to do a weighted average.

If you can calculate a formula based on the discrete points, you could find the average velocity. This could be an issue, as you could create a high degree polynomial that would go through all the points, but that may not be an accurate representation of velocity versus position between the discrete points.

If you knew the starting time and the ending time for the discrete positions, then the average velocity would just be the change in position / change in time.

It's a measurement of ADV in laboratory flume. I have point velocity at different depth and different width of a cross section. So how can I calculate average velocity in this cross section? If you go through the attachment, it will be clear to you. Also I have the discharge value for this setup laboratory run.

Rupayan0504041 said:
It's a measurement of ADV in laboratory flume. I have point velocity at different depth and different width of a cross section. So how can I calculate average velocity in this cross section? If you go through the attachment, it will be clear to you. Also I have the discharge value for this setup laboratory run.
I went through the attachment, and it wasn't clear to me.

Chestermiller said:
I went through the attachment, and it wasn't clear to me.
Can you just tell me which part isn't clear in attachment?

I have point velocity at different depth and different lateral position in a laboratory channel cross section. And I need to calculate average velocity of that cross section and also average depth velocity at different lateral position.

Rupayan0504041 said:
I have point velocity at different depth and different lateral position in a laboratory channel cross section. And I need to calculate average velocity of that cross section and also average depth velocity at different lateral position.
What are the locations of the walls?

Chestermiller said:
What are the locations of the walls?
Left wall is at y=0 and right one is y=10

Related to Average Velocity from Velocity Profile

1. What is the definition of average velocity?

Average velocity is defined as the total displacement divided by the total time taken to travel that distance. It is a measure of the overall speed and direction of an object over a given time interval.

2. How is average velocity calculated from a velocity profile?

To calculate average velocity from a velocity profile, you would first need to determine the total distance traveled by the object over the given time interval. Then, you would divide this distance by the total time taken to travel that distance.

3. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the overall velocity of an object over a given time interval, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific point in time. Average velocity takes into account the entire motion of an object, while instantaneous velocity only represents the velocity at a specific moment.

4. Can average velocity be negative?

Yes, average velocity can be negative. This would indicate that the object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial position.

5. How is average velocity used in scientific research?

Average velocity is used in scientific research to analyze the motion of objects over a given time interval. It can help determine the speed and direction of an object, as well as any changes in velocity over time. It is also used in calculations for other important physical quantities such as acceleration and displacement.