Average value of sin(i) in radial velocities (exoplanets)

In summary, when measuring a star's radial velocity to search for a planet, the planet's mass can be approximated by multiplying its measured m*sin(i) value by 1.33. This value comes from assuming a uniform distribution of orbital inclinations, but it is possible that the inclinations are weighted differently in reality. There is no known derivation or reference for this number.
cahill8
When a stars radial velocity is measured in search for a planet, the planet imparts a radial velocity shift proportional to [itex]m\sin i\text{ where }i[/itex] is the orbital inclination of the planet with respect to our line of sight and [itex]m[/itex] is the planet mass. I've heard that even though the inclinations are generally unknown, the true masses can be approximated for a large sample by multiplying [itex]m\sin i[/itex] values by 1.33. I'm wondering where this value comes from?

Assuming a uniform distribution of [itex]i[/itex], [itex]\int^\pi_0 \sin i di/\pi[/itex] gives a value of [itex]2/\pi[/itex] implying that the [itex]m\sin i[/itex] should be multiplied by [itex]\pi/2[/itex] (1.57, opposed to the 1.33 I've seen). Does anyone have a derivation or reference for this number?

Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I don't have a derivation for this number, but it seems like your phrase, "Assuming a uniform distribution of i" is where the discrepancy might come about. It could very well be that the i values are weighted in some way, to take into account that some inclination angles are observationally more likely than others.

I mean, for one thing, if i = 0 (or is it pi -- whichever one corresponds to the system being face-on), then there IS no radial component to the planet's velocity.

Related to Average value of sin(i) in radial velocities (exoplanets)

1. What is the average value of sin(i) in radial velocities for exoplanets?

The average value of sin(i) in radial velocities for exoplanets is a measure of the average inclination angle of a planet's orbit relative to our line of sight. It is an important parameter in understanding the orbital dynamics and properties of exoplanets.

2. How is the average value of sin(i) calculated for exoplanets?

The average value of sin(i) is calculated by taking the average of the sine of the inclination angle (i) for a sample of exoplanets with known radial velocities. The inclination angle can be determined through various methods, such as the radial velocity method or the transit method.

3. Why is the average value of sin(i) important in exoplanet research?

The average value of sin(i) is important in exoplanet research because it provides information about the orientation of a planet's orbit. This can help determine the planet's mass, radius, and other properties. Additionally, it can provide insights into the formation and evolution of exoplanetary systems.

4. How does the average value of sin(i) affect the detection of exoplanets?

The average value of sin(i) affects the detection of exoplanets because it influences the amplitude of the radial velocity signal. A larger sin(i) value means a larger amplitude, making it easier to detect the presence of a planet through the radial velocity method. Therefore, understanding the average value of sin(i) can help improve exoplanet detection techniques.

5. Is the average value of sin(i) the same for all exoplanets?

No, the average value of sin(i) can vary for different exoplanets. The inclination angle of a planet's orbit can be influenced by various factors, such as interactions with other planets or the angle at which the planet formed. Therefore, the average value of sin(i) can vary among different exoplanetary systems.