Exploring the Possibility of M-Dimensional Time in the Physical World

• Thread starter goldeng8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the idea of higher dimensional spacetime, such as 3,4,...11 dimensions, has been around for a while. There is a theory called F theory that adds another time dimension, developed by Cumrun Vafa. The four dimensions of basic relativity can be rewritten in terms of time dimensions, but time is considered a parameter rather than a dimension.
goldeng8
The idea of 3,4,...11 dimensional spacetime has been around for a while.

This always means (N-1)-dimensional space, with the usual addition of time as one dimensional.

Are there any serious thoughts on the possibility of M-dimensional time, and what this would mean in the physical world?

(Maybe this is somewhat of a parallel discussion to the earlier post of 'imaginary time' here, but I decided to start a new thread anyway)

Physics news on Phys.org
F theory

there's a theory that adds another time dimension and it's called f theory.
the developer of theory is cumrun vafa.

Here is something to contemplate.

The four dimensions of basic relativity are ct, x, y, z. Though often called one time dimension and three space dimensions, in fact, 'ct' is a space dimension (speed times time). A famous relativity space invariant equation is

s2 = - (ct)2 + x2 + y2 + z2

Now represent this by substituting uniform variable names from

x0 <== ct
x1 <== x
x2 <== y
x3 <== z

Here is the result.

s2 = - x02 + x12 + x22 + x32

Every term is a space term.

But it can all be rewritten in time dimensions.

&TAU <== is/c
t0 <== t
t1 <== x/c
t2 <== y/c
t3 <== z/c

The result.

&TAU2 = + t02 - t12 - t22 - t32

This is a relativity time invariant equation using four time dimensions.

This has few to be with the subject however, when I was 'studiying' Quantum Mechanics, one day my teacher told (looking at me when I was about to fall asleep) that the time was not a dimension, it was a parameter. I never understood what he was talking about that day.

Originally posted by Doctor Luz
This has few to be with the subject however, when I was 'studiying' Quantum Mechanics, one day my teacher told (looking at me when I was about to fall asleep) that the time was not a dimension, it was a parameter. I never understood what he was talking about that day.

Your teacher was right. Space has three degrees of freedom, that is what a dimension is, a degree of freedom. But you can't move around in time the same way, if you move around in space a lot you change your movement in time some, but bsically you move through time at the same rate, whether you want to or not.

What is M-Dimensional Time?

M-Dimensional Time is a theoretical concept in physics that proposes the existence of multiple dimensions of time. It suggests that time may not only move in a linear fashion, but could also have multiple directions or dimensions.

What is the significance of exploring M-Dimensional Time?

Exploring the possibility of M-Dimensional Time can help us better understand the nature of time and its role in the physical world. It can also potentially lead to new insights and advancements in the field of physics.

Is there any evidence for M-Dimensional Time?

Currently, there is no empirical evidence for the existence of M-Dimensional Time. It is still a theoretical concept that is being explored and studied by scientists.

How is M-Dimensional Time different from the concept of time in our everyday lives?

In our everyday lives, time is perceived as a linear progression from past to present to future. M-Dimensional Time, on the other hand, suggests that time may have multiple dimensions and could potentially move in different directions.

What are the implications of M-Dimensional Time if it is proven to exist?

If M-Dimensional Time is proven to exist, it would challenge our current understanding of time and could potentially revolutionize our understanding of the physical world. It could also have practical applications in fields such as space travel and quantum mechanics.