Average speed relative to the magnitude of the average velocity?

In summary: I hope this helps.In summary, the magnitude of the average velocity is always positive and equal to the average speed, which is the absolute value of the average velocity. However, the average speed can be either equal to or greater than the magnitude of the average velocity, depending on the path the object takes. Additionally, magnitude always refers to a positive value in this context.
rws_killer5
What can be said about average speed relative to the magnitude of the average velocity?
a) greater than
B) equal to
C)both a and B

I think it is neither because average velocity is displacement/total time and average speed is distance/total time.

Since displacement is always equal to or less than distance, average velocity is always equal to or less tahn average speed.

Also, when it says magnitude, does it mean it is a positive number?

Physics news on Phys.org

rws_killer5 said:
What can be said about average speed relative to the magnitude of the average velocity?
a) greater than
B) equal to
C)both a and B

I think it is neither because average velocity is displacement/total time and average speed is distance/total time.

Since displacement is always equal to or less than distance, average velocity is always equal to or less tahn average speed.

What is different about speed versus velocity. There is a fundamental difference, which I think you will need to address in order to answer this question.

umm what??!?

rws_killer5 said:
umm what??!?

What you didn't understand my question, or what you don't know the answer and are asking what the answer is?

what is the answer

rws_killer5 said:
what is the answer

Hint: which is a vector?

an arrow that represents magnitude and direction

rws_killer5 said:
an arrow that represents magnitude and direction

Well, that's one way to describe a vector, yes. But I asked which of speed and velocity is a vector. Why did I ask that, and what is the answer?

velocity. When it says magnitude of vector, that means it needs to be positive right?

Btw, I am learning physics by myself. So even if you give me more information than necessary, don't worry, you are not committing any academic integrity issues.

rws_killer5 said:
velocity. When it says magnitude of vector, that means it needs to be positive right?

Btw, I am learning physics by myself. So even if you give me more information than necessary, don't worry, you are not committing any academic integrity issues.

Correct. Velocity is a vector, with magnitude and direction. Speed is just the absolute value, and is always positive.

So if you drive your car to the market and back at a constant speed S, what is the average speed? If you show the vector velocity for that same trip, what is different about velocity for the two legs of the trip? Does that help lead you to the answer for the original problem?

i'm sorry, but you are doing a really bad job at answer the questions that I ask. once again, when it says "magnitude" does magnitude mean it is always positive?

Velocity shows magnitude and direction. The question states the magnitude of velocity. Therefore velocity cannot show direction and is therefore always positive value correct?

rws_killer5 said:
i'm sorry, but you are doing a really bad job at answer the questions that I ask. once again, when it says "magnitude" does magnitude mean it is always positive?

Velocity shows magnitude and direction. The question states the magnitude of velocity. Therefore velocity cannot show direction and is therefore always positive value correct?

Well, I think you will need to look in your book to see how it handles the definition of vectors. If it says the magnitude is always positive, then that's pretty much the same as speed.

rws_killer5 said:
... because average velocity is displacement/total time and average speed is distance/total time.
So far, so good. (Those are the standard definitions, but some books can vary. Check your book.)

Makes sense to me.

So which answer makes most sense? What's your opinion about each of the choices? (The question could have been phrased better. Are you sure you've copied it exactly as it was given?)

Yes, magnitude is always positive.

rws_killer5 said:
a) greater than
B) equal to
C)both a and B

Yes, magnitude can not be negative. Speed is a scalar, not a vector. By definition speed is the magnitude of the velocity. This should help. Therefore they must be equal.

sona1177 said:
Yes, magnitude can not be negative. Speed is a scalar, not a vector. By definition speed is the magnitude of the velocity. This should help. Therefore they must be equal.

Right, but the average speed need not be the same as the magnitude of average velocity.

ehild

ehild said:
Right, but the average speed need not be the same as the magnitude of average velocity.

ehild

But neither is not a choice. In this case if you assume that by average speed he means something like the speed is the same going and returning then the average speed will be equal to the velocity, right? I just started a Physics course (you helped me with a Kinematics question) so if I am wrong, please correct me? Thank You!

sona1177 said:
But neither is not a choice.
The average speed can be either equal or higher than the magnitude of the average velocity.
If a body moves from point A to B, d distance away, along a straight line in time t, the average speed is the distance between A and B divided by the time: d/t. The average velocity is the displacement from A to B divided by the time, a vector quantity, whose magnitude is positive it is d/t again.

If the body moves from A to B and returns back, its average speed is the length of its path, 2d, divided by the time.

The average velocity is the total displacement which is zero now, divided by the time, so the magnitude of the average velocity is zero now.

In general,the average speed is the length of the path taken, divided by the time, and the average velocity is the displacement divided by time. The displacement is a vector connecting the starting point of the trajectory to the end point. The magnitude of the displacement is the length of the straight line connecting those points, which is never longer than any curve connecting the same points.

ehild

sona1177 Says: 06:53 AM

Quote ehild

ehild
But neither is not a choice. In this case if you assume that by average speed he means something like the speed is the same going and returning then the average speed will be equal to the velocity, right? I just started a Physics course (you helped me with a Kinematics question) so if I am wrong, please correct me? Thank You!

Edit | Quote | Reply

Thank you so much for that clarification! Basic things like this sometimes mess me up in a problem so I'll keep it in mind.

btw i was sick yesterday so i wasn't thinking clearly. I basically answered the question in my first response. The answer is C.

I basically said that avg velocity is always less than or equal to avg speed. So avg speed is always equal to or greater than avg velocity. My bad guys...

Related to Average speed relative to the magnitude of the average velocity?

1. What is the difference between average speed and average velocity?

Average speed is the distance traveled per unit time, while average velocity is the displacement per unit time. In other words, average speed measures how fast an object is moving without considering its direction, while average velocity takes into account both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

2. How is average speed relative to the magnitude of average velocity calculated?

The average speed relative to the magnitude of average velocity is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken. The magnitude of average velocity is then calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time taken.

3. Why is it important to consider both average speed and average velocity?

It is important to consider both average speed and average velocity because they provide different information about an object's motion. Average speed tells us how fast an object is moving overall, while average velocity tells us the object's displacement and direction of motion.

4. Can average speed ever be greater than the magnitude of average velocity?

Yes, it is possible for average speed to be greater than the magnitude of average velocity. This can occur when an object travels in different directions at different speeds, resulting in a greater total distance traveled compared to its total displacement.

5. How does acceleration affect the average speed relative to the magnitude of average velocity?

Acceleration can affect the average speed relative to the magnitude of average velocity by changing the speed or direction of an object's motion. If an object has a constant acceleration in the same direction as its initial velocity, the average speed will increase while the magnitude of average velocity remains the same. However, if the object has a changing acceleration or changes direction, both the average speed and average velocity will be affected.