Average Speed Between Points A & B: 0 m/s

In summary, a person walks at a constant speed of 5.01 m/s from point A to B and then back to A at a constant speed of 3.10 m/s. To find the average speed over the entire trip, you need to calculate the time for each half of the trip and add them together. The time can be expressed in terms of the distance, which is denoted as D. Using the formula speed = distance/time, the average speed can be calculated.
frizzler43
A person walks first at a constant speed of 5.01 m/x along a straight line from point A to B and then back along the line from B to A at a constant speed of 3.10 m/s

What is the average speed over the entire trip?

I've tried everything from adding the two and dividing by two. I've found that the avg. velocity over the trip is 0 m/s.
I know that avg speed=distance over time. I just don't know how you are suppose to find the time o if that's even what you're suppose to do

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi frizzler43! welcome to pf! :wink:
frizzler43 said:
… I know that avg speed=distance over time. I just don't know how you are suppose to find the time o if that's even what you're suppose to do

first, calculate the time for each half …

show us what you get :smile:

frizzler43 said:
I just don't know how you are suppose to find the time o if that's even what you're suppose to do
Find the time to go from A to B, then the time to go from B to A. Add to get the total. Hint: Express the time in terms of the distance, which you can just call D.

how are you suppose to find the time?

frizzler43 said:
how are you suppose to find the time?

uhh? :confused:

speed = distance/time …

get on with it! :rolleyes:

Related to Average Speed Between Points A & B: 0 m/s

1. What does an average speed of 0 m/s mean?

An average speed of 0 m/s means that there is no change in position over time. This could indicate that an object is not moving at all or that it is moving at a constant speed in a straight line.

2. Can an object have an average speed of 0 m/s and still be moving?

Yes, an object can have an average speed of 0 m/s and still be moving. This could occur if the object is moving in one direction for a certain amount of time, and then moving in the opposite direction for an equal amount of time, resulting in no overall change in position.

3. Is 0 m/s the same as standing still?

Not necessarily. Standing still typically refers to an object being motionless, while a speed of 0 m/s only indicates that there is no change in position over time. An object could have a speed of 0 m/s and still be in motion, such as in the case of a pendulum swinging back and forth.

4. Can an object have an average speed of 0 m/s and still have a non-zero velocity?

Yes, an object can have an average speed of 0 m/s and still have a non-zero velocity. Velocity takes into account the direction of movement, so an object could be moving at a constant speed of 0 m/s in one direction and then have a change in direction, resulting in a non-zero velocity.

5. How is average speed calculated when it is 0 m/s?

Average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken. When the average speed is 0 m/s, it means that the total distance traveled is 0. This could occur if an object starts and ends at the same position, or if the object travels in opposite directions for equal amounts of time.