Average salary for a new assistant professor in Mathematics.

In summary, the average salary for a new assistant professor in mathematics is $55,186 per year, although some schools may pay more or less. The figures mentioned are typically based on a 9- or 10-month contract, with the possibility of additional pay for teaching summer courses. However, this salary may not be as high as other industries for those with a PhD in mathematics. Despite this, many professors still pursue this career due to their passion for the subject, and the potential for job security and stability once they receive tenure.
Karimspencer
I really like Mathematics and wondering for the salary for a new assistant professor in the subject.

Physics news on Phys.org
thanks

are the numbers per year or per 9 months ?

From the note at the bottom of the table:

The figures cover full-time faculty members on 9- or 10-month contracts.

Ok thanks

Keep in mind that those professors are typically paid the 9-month salary over 12 months, and most will work over the summer with no additional summer funding - while it's billed as a 9-month salary, that's what they get for the year.

Where I work, if you teach courses during the summer, you get paid extra for it. But the college doesn't give you extra pay for doing research or course preparation during the summer.

So I see the system is different according to universities?

If the school offers summer courses (not all do) they'll pay you extra to teach them if you want to.

I don't remember who said it but "what's the difference between a $7 pizza and a PhD in mathematics? The pizza can feed a family of four."

Likes Luis Gomez
You are saying that a Ph.D in Mathematics isn't worth it? Well, it will be when you are tenure. And I can't hide the fact that the money is important to me but even if it didn't make that much , I would still do it because it's my passion to Mathematics that makes me study and not my need for money.

Money should be important to everyone. It's great to love your job, but you still need to pay rent and feed yourself. And in some places, that's expensive. Teaching college is one of the lowest paying positions you can get with a PhD in math. My friends who went into industry with their math PhD are making twice as much as my friends teaching college - but the ones teaching college are doing that because that's what they like to do. They aren't broke, they just aren't rich.

Well an average of 55000 $ a year for a NEW assistant professor isn't bad at all.
And of course they make research and not only teach which helps. And when you are tenure, you are in a totally different world, everything can change especially the job security and stability.

Related to Average salary for a new assistant professor in Mathematics.

What is the average salary for a new assistant professor in Mathematics?

The average salary for a new assistant professor in Mathematics is around $70,000 per year. However, this can vary depending on factors such as location, institution, and experience.

What factors can affect the average salary for a new assistant professor in Mathematics?

The average salary for a new assistant professor in Mathematics can vary due to several factors, including location, institution, and experience. For example, professors in larger cities or prestigious universities may earn higher salaries than those in smaller towns or less well-known institutions.

What is the salary range for a new assistant professor in Mathematics?

The salary range for a new assistant professor in Mathematics can vary greatly. On the lower end, salaries can start around $50,000 per year, while the highest salaries can exceed $100,000 per year.

Do assistant professors in Mathematics receive any additional benefits?

In addition to their annual salary, assistant professors in Mathematics may receive benefits such as health insurance, retirement contributions, and paid time off. These benefits can vary depending on the institution.

How does the average salary for a new assistant professor in Mathematics compare to other fields?

The average salary for a new assistant professor in Mathematics is generally higher than many other fields. However, it may be lower than some fields such as business or computer science. It is important to consider the specific institution and location when comparing salaries across different fields.