Average power given velocity, kinetic friction, and mass

In summary, the problem involves a 23.5-kg rock sliding on a rough surface at 9.15 m/s and stopping due to friction with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.180. To find the average power produced by friction, one must determine the force by using the definition of work and the two vector quantities of force and velocity. However, the speaker is struggling to determine the force. They suggest knowing the weight, which can be easily found with the acceleration due to gravity, and using the equation w=fd to find the power. The speaker also requests that any responses use math rather than general statements.
SPiazzo
A 23.5-kg rock is sliding on a rough, horizontal surface at 9.15 m/s and eventually stops due to friction. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the rock and the surface is 0.180. What average power is produced by friction as the rock stops?

I think that the way to solve it is use determine the force first then use the definition of work from my textbook using the two vector quantities F*V. However, I cannot seem to determine the force.

Please not if you do respond it would be helpful to me if you use math and not just say something like No, just use the standard constant acceleration equations. That really didn't help me with my last problem

Physics news on Phys.org
You know the coefficient of friction...you need to know the weight ( easy if you know ' g')
So you know F and v...

Related to Average power given velocity, kinetic friction, and mass

1. What is the formula for calculating average power given velocity, kinetic friction, and mass?

The formula for average power is P = F * v, where F is the force of kinetic friction and v is the velocity.

2. How does kinetic friction affect average power?

Kinetic friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object. This means that it will decrease the velocity of the object, resulting in a decrease in average power.

3. Is the mass of an object a factor in calculating average power?

Yes, mass is an important factor in calculating average power. The greater the mass of an object, the more force is required to overcome kinetic friction and maintain a certain velocity, resulting in a higher average power.

4. What units are used for average power?

The units for average power are watts (W) or joules per second (J/s). This is because power is measured as the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred.

5. Can average power be negative?

Yes, average power can be negative if the force of kinetic friction is greater than the applied force, resulting in a decrease in velocity. This negative power indicates that work is being done on the object, rather than by the object.