Average power absorbed by resistor:

In summary, the average power absorbed by the resistor in the given circuit is 150W. This is calculated using the formula (1/2)Vmax*Imax*cosø, where the maximum voltage values are converted to RMS values. The total voltage (Vtotal) is calculated to be (17.32 ∠-30°)V, and the current (I) is (17.32∠-30°)A. Plugging these values into the formula, we get an average power of 150W.
Color_of_Cyan

Homework Statement

http://imageshack.us/a/img4/5259/wn5b.jpg

Find the average power absorbed by the resistor in the circuit
if v1(t) = 10cos(377t + 60°)V
and v2(t) = 20cos(377t + 120°)V

Homework Equations

average power = (1/2)Vmax*Imax*cosø

x=rcosθ
y=rsinθ

mag = (r2 + j2)1/2
θ = arctan(j/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

v1(t) = 10cos(377t + 60°)V; = (10∠60°)V; = (5 + 8.66j)V

v2(t) = 20cos(377t + 120°)V; = (20∠120°)V; = (-10 + 17.32j)V

Z = 1Ω; = (1 ∠ 0°)Ω

Vtotal = v1 - v2 = 5 + 8.66j - (-10 + 17.32j)

Vtotal = (15 - 8.66j) V

Vtotal = (17.32 ∠-30°)V

and I think these are all max values so:

I = V/Z

I = (17.32∠-30°)/(1∠0°)

I = (17.32∠-30°)A

Avg power = (1/2)(17.32)(17.32)(cos 0) = 150W

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since you're dealing with power it would be prudent to convert the voltages to RMS values. Otherwise there will be a "missing" factor of 1/2 in your power calculation.

EDIT: Never mind. I see that you're using the ##\frac{1}{2}V_m I_m cos(\phi)## formula which includes the 1/2 term. Your calculation is fine.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

Related to Average power absorbed by resistor:

What is the definition of average power absorbed by a resistor?

The average power absorbed by a resistor is the amount of power that is dissipated or absorbed by a resistor over a given period of time. It is typically measured in units of watts (W).

How is average power absorbed by a resistor calculated?

The average power absorbed by a resistor can be calculated using the formula P = VI, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amps. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the formula P = I2R, where R is the resistance in ohms.

What factors affect the average power absorbed by a resistor?

The main factor that affects the average power absorbed by a resistor is the resistance of the resistor. The higher the resistance, the higher the power absorbed. Other factors that can affect the power absorbed include the voltage and current passing through the resistor, as well as the ambient temperature.

Why is it important to calculate the average power absorbed by a resistor?

Calculating the average power absorbed by a resistor is important for understanding the overall performance and efficiency of a circuit. It can also help in selecting the appropriate resistor for a given application, as different resistors have different power ratings.

Can the average power absorbed by a resistor be negative?

No, the average power absorbed by a resistor cannot be negative. This is because power absorption is a measure of energy transfer from the source to the resistor, and energy cannot be negative. However, the power absorbed can be zero if there is no current passing through the resistor or if the voltage across the resistor is zero.