Average number of different colors of marbles in a sample?

• Thread starter JS-Student
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Average
In summary, the conversation discusses understanding probability in terms of a marbles-in-bag scenario. The question asks how many different colors of marbles would be expected in a sample of 12 with replacement from a bag of 10 colors in equal amounts. The answer can be found on a specific webpage that explains the concept in detail. The value needed to solve the problem is ##E(V)## in ##19##, with ##m=10## and ##n=12##. The person expresses gratitude for any help in understanding the tutorial.
JS-Student
Hi, I'm asking this in relation to samples of DNA amplicons, but I'm so confused by probability, that I think it would be easier for me to understand in terms of simple marbles-in-bag situation.

Say there is a bag of 10 different colors of marbles in equal amounts, and you are allowed to pull out 12 marbles, each time with replacement. In your sample of 12 marbles, how many different colors of marbles would you expect to have?

If someone could walk me through this, especially the concepts necessary to figure this out, I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you, I will try to understand this tutorial.

JS-Student said:
Thank you, I will try to understand this tutorial.

Please do ask if something is unclear. The result you want is ##E(V)## in ##19##. The values are ##m=10## and ##n=12##.

Hello,

Thank you for your question. I can provide a response to your query regarding the average number of different colors of marbles in a sample.

In your example, we have a bag with 10 different colors of marbles in equal amounts. This means that each color has an equal chance of being picked when you draw a marble from the bag. This concept is known as probability, where we calculate the likelihood of an event occurring.

Now, let's consider the situation where you are allowed to pull out 12 marbles, each time with replacement. This means that after each draw, the marble is returned to the bag, and the same 10 colors are still present in the bag. In this case, the probability of picking a specific color remains the same for each draw.

To calculate the expected number of different colors in a sample of 12 marbles, we can use the concept of expected value. This is the average number of different colors we would expect to see in a sample of 12 marbles, if we were to repeat this experiment many times.

The formula for expected value is: E(X) = n * p, where n is the number of trials and p is the probability of an event occurring. In this case, n = 12 (number of draws) and p = 1/10 (probability of picking a specific color). Therefore, E(X) = 12 * 1/10 = 1.2.

This means that on average, we would expect to see 1.2 different colors in a sample of 12 marbles. Since we cannot have a fraction of a color, we can round this number to the nearest whole number, which is 1. Therefore, we would expect to see 1 different color in a sample of 12 marbles.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the concept of probability and expected value for you. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. Thank you.

Related to Average number of different colors of marbles in a sample?

1. What does "average number of different colors" mean in this context?

The average number of different colors refers to the mean number of unique colors present in a sample of marbles. This means that if you were to randomly select marbles from the sample, on average, how many different colors would you expect to find.

2. How is the average number of different colors calculated?

The average number of different colors is calculated by adding up the total number of unique colors in the sample and dividing it by the total number of marbles in the sample. This gives us the mean or average number of different colors present.

3. Can the average number of different colors change if the sample size is different?

Yes, the average number of different colors can change if the sample size is different. A larger sample size may result in a higher average number of different colors, while a smaller sample size may result in a lower average number of different colors. This is because a larger sample size allows for a better representation of the entire population of marbles.

4. Is the average number of different colors affected by the type of marbles in the sample?

Yes, the average number of different colors can be affected by the type of marbles in the sample. Some types of marbles may have a wider range of colors available, resulting in a higher average number of different colors, while others may have a limited range of colors, resulting in a lower average number of different colors.

5. How is the average number of different colors useful in scientific research?

The average number of different colors can be useful in scientific research as it allows for a quantitative measure of color diversity in a sample. This information can be used to analyze patterns or trends in the distribution of colors and can provide insight into the composition and characteristics of the sample. It can also be used to compare different samples and determine if there are significant differences in the color diversity between them.