Average momentum of energy eigenstates is always zero?

In summary: What's wrong with my derivation or it is true that average momentum of energy eigenstates is always zero?It is true that average momentum of energy eigenstates is always zero.
taishizhiqiu
Look at the following derivation:
##
p=\frac{im}{\hbar}[H,r]
##
if ##H|\psi\rangle=E|\psi\rangle##, then
##
\langle \psi|p|\psi \rangle = \frac{im}{\hbar}\langle \psi|Hr-rH|\psi \rangle = \frac{im}{\hbar}\langle \psi|r|\psi \rangle(E-E)=0
##
What's wrong with my derivation or it is true that average momentum of energy eigenstates is always zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
taishizhiqiu said:
it is true that average momentum of energy eigenstates is always zero?
It's true.

It's certainly true for bound states. I can imagine situations where you can evade this - for example, a free particle on the infinite line (the energy eigenstates are not normalizable!) or on a ring (x is not a single-valued operator!).

taishizhiqiu said:
##
p=\frac{im}{\hbar}[H,r]
##
##
\langle \psi|p|\psi \rangle = \frac{im}{\hbar}\langle \psi|Hr-rH|\psi \rangle = \frac{im}{\hbar}\langle \psi|r|\psi \rangle(E-E)=0
##
What's wrong with my derivation or it is true that average momentum of energy eigenstates is always zero?
In general, eigenstates of Hamiltonian are not traveling Waves.

king vitamin said:
It's certainly true for bound states. I can imagine situations where you can evade this - for example, a free particle on the infinite line (the energy eigenstates are not normalizable!) or on a ring (x is not a single-valued operator!).
what about box normalization of free electrons? That is, particles are confined in a region between ##-L/2## and ##L/2## and fulfill periodic boundary condition. This way, wave functions are normalizable.

taishizhiqiu said:
what about box normalization of free electrons? That is, particles are confined in a region between ##-L/2## and ##L/2## and fulfill periodic boundary condition. This way, wave functions are normalizable.
Particles confined in a box are not free.

taishizhiqiu said:

This is exactly what I meant when I said a free particle on a ring: the operator x is not single-valued. By the way, for the eigenfunctions of this problem, what is the variance of momentum? Notice what this means for the Heisenberg uncertainty principle (which you used in your original post).

It is zero because there is equal probability of it traveling one way or the other. Try p^2, it won't be zero.

taishizhiqiu said:

It is true; the average momentum of energy eigenstates is always zero.

True energy eigenstates are hard to find outside of bound states in most potentials.

Free particles are not found in energy eigenstates for the same reason that they are not found in position or momentum eigenstates. Such wavefunctions would be unphysical and non-normalizeable.

Likes bhobba
king vitamin said:
This is exactly what I meant when I said a free particle on a ring: the operator x is not single-valued. By the way, for the eigenfunctions of this problem, what is the variance of momentum? Notice what this means for the Heisenberg uncertainty principle (which you used in your original post).
Why x is not a single-valued operator will lead to breakdown of the claim in my original post? After all, we can define x to be between ##-L/2## and ##L/2##.

taishizhiqiu said:
##
p=\frac{im}{\hbar}[H,r]
##
##
##
Here you tacitly assumed that ##\langle \psi|r|\psi \rangle## is not infinite.There are energy eigenstates with non-zero momentum, but for such states your tacit assumption is not fulfilled. Indeed, for free Hamiltonian such a state is ##e^{ipx/\hbar}##.

Related to Average momentum of energy eigenstates is always zero?

1. What is the concept of momentum of energy eigenstates?

The momentum of energy eigenstates refers to the average momentum of a quantum system in a particular energy state. It is a quantum mechanical property that describes the movement and velocity of the system.

2. Why is the average momentum of energy eigenstates always zero?

This is because energy eigenstates are stationary states, meaning they do not change with time. Therefore, the average momentum of these states is always zero as there is no change in velocity or movement over time.

3. How is the average momentum of energy eigenstates calculated?

The average momentum of energy eigenstates can be calculated using the expectation value formula, which involves taking the integral of the momentum operator over the wavefunction of the system.

4. What does it mean if the average momentum of energy eigenstates is not zero?

If the average momentum of energy eigenstates is not zero, it means that the system is not in a stationary state and is undergoing changes in velocity and movement over time. This could indicate that the system is in a superposition of energy states.

5. How does the concept of average momentum of energy eigenstates relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. Therefore, the fact that the average momentum of energy eigenstates is always zero reflects the uncertainty in the momentum of a quantum system.