Average kinetic energy of particles of an ideal gas

In summary: This is called the insertion symbol.In summary, the gas constant is 8.3145, the Avogadros constant is NA, and the Boltzmann constant is k.
Sipko

Homework Statement

So first the task:
Determine the average value of the kinetic energy of the particles of an ideal gas at 0.0 C and at 100 C (b) What is the kinetic energy per mole of an Ideal gas at these temperatures.

I took the above right out of the pdf we got from our professor.
I know that:
The gas constant is 8.3145 = R
T = Temperature

What got me confused here is that this question seems to be a two-parter. So according to this task I have to find the average kinetic energy for particles AND moles. Is there a difference? Or am I done already?

2. Homework Equations

Ek = 3/2RT --- As far as I can tell.

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I got down to this:

0.0 C = 273K;
Ek= 3/2 x 8.3145 x 273k =3404.79 J/mol = 3.405 kJ/mol
100 C = 373K
Ek= 3/2 x 8.3145 x 373k =4651.96 J/mol = 4.651 kJ/mol

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, there is a difference. There is significantly more kinetic energy in a mole than in the average particle. A mole consists of ##N_A## particles.

Likes Sipko
And there I was hoping it was a typo. But tell me, is my attempt correct? As far as I understand I found the kinetic energy of a mole right?

Sipko said:
And there I was hoping it was a typo. But tell me, is my attempt correct? As far as I understand I found the kinetic energy of a mole right?
Yes, and it seems fine as long as your gas is ideal.

So I have looked into the Avogadros constant and the Boltzmann constant and I came up with this formula:
Ek = 1/2mv2 = 3/2kT
where k = Boltzmann constant = 1.3806x10-23, or R/NA. Where NA= Avogadros constant, and R = 8.3145 (Gas Constant)
from there I go:

Ek = 3/2x(1.3806x10-23)x273 = 5.65x10-21 (for 0.0 C or 273K)
Ek = 3/2x(13806x10-23)x373 = 7.7244x10-21 (for 100 C or 373K)

Right?

Sipko said:
Right?

Yes. Apart from one very important fact:
Sipko said:
k = Boltzmann constant = 1.3806x10-23
Boltzmann's constant is ca 1.38x10-23 J/K, just as the gas constant is ca 8.31 J/(mol K).

It is good practice to always state the units in physics, even in intermediate computations. Apart from being more correct, it will also help you spot errors and dimensional inconsistencies. Also, your result should have units of Joule, if you only state a number, it has no meaning as an energy - you must to specify the units here!

Likes Sipko
Yes I always forget that.
So the answers would be :
0.0C = 5.65x10-21 J/K
100C = 7.7244x10-21 J/K
Now it should be correct.

Sipko said:
Yes I always forget that.
So the answers would be :
0.0C = 5.65x10-21 J/K
100C = 7.7244x10-21 J/K
Now it should be correct.

Yes. With the (somewhat picky) comment that C is a unit of charge while °C is a unit of temperature. :rolleyes:

Ok ok just my keyboard layout does not allow me to place that sign quickly. But as long as its understood what is meant then it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the help. This task is done.

Sipko said:
Ok ok just my keyboard layout does not allow me to place that sign quickly.

If you click the ∑ symbol in the PF editor, you will get a selection of useful symbols which you can simply click to insert.

Related to Average kinetic energy of particles of an ideal gas

1. What is the definition of average kinetic energy in an ideal gas?

The average kinetic energy of particles in an ideal gas is a measure of the average energy of motion of the gas particles. It is directly proportional to the temperature of the gas and is a result of the random motion of the particles.

2. How is the average kinetic energy of an ideal gas calculated?

The average kinetic energy of an ideal gas is calculated using the formula KE = (3/2)kT, where KE is the average kinetic energy, k is the Boltzmann constant, and T is the temperature of the gas in Kelvin.

3. What is the relationship between temperature and average kinetic energy in an ideal gas?

The average kinetic energy of particles in an ideal gas is directly proportional to the temperature of the gas. This means that as the temperature increases, the average kinetic energy of the particles also increases.

4. How does the mass of gas particles affect the average kinetic energy?

The mass of gas particles does not affect the average kinetic energy in an ideal gas. According to the kinetic theory of gases, the average kinetic energy of gas particles is only dependent on the temperature of the gas.

5. Why is the average kinetic energy of an ideal gas considered to be "ideal"?

An ideal gas is a theoretical concept that assumes that gas particles have no volume and are not attracted to each other. In this model, the average kinetic energy of particles is constant and directly proportional to the temperature, making it an ideal gas.