Average Force using Newton's Laws of Motion

In summary: Alright, so his speed just before he touches the ground is 9.41 m/s. Then, his acceleration (or deceleration?) is 50.3 m/s^2.Now, given that I have - okay, I think I got it. The answer was supposed to be something in the order of 5388 N and I got 5386 N, rounding it up.
AshNotKetchum

Homework Statement

A 89.6 kg man steps off a platform 4.52 m above the ground. He keeps his legs straight as he falls, but at the moment his feet touch the ground his knees begin to bend, and, treated as a particle, he moves an additional 0.88 m before coming to rest. Treating our rigid legged friend as a particle, what is the average force his feet exert on the ground while he slows down?
Note: Assume the acceleration while he is slowing down is constant.

Give your answer in Newtons to the nearest whole number.

Hint: Draw a free body diagram to aid in seeing the forces.

Homework Equations

4 equations of constant acceleration and F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I was rather confused at the question's requirements to begin with, specifically with the terms 'average force' (I looked up average force to be only related to Δmomentum/Δtime, and this question is only with respect to "Newton's laws of motion") and "while he slows down". Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the man's acceleration as he comes to rest? To find the 'average force', just pretend that the force exerted by the ground on him is constant. What other forces act on him?

Well, since the question hinted to assume acceleration is constant while slowing down, I assumed a=g, but at rest a=0, would it not? From what I can understand, there are two forces on the man - gravity (excuse the poor terminology) and the normal force.

AshNotKetchum said:
Well, since the question hinted to assume acceleration is constant while slowing down, I assumed a=g, but at rest a=0, would it not?
You want his acceleration while his feet are touching the ground and he's coming to rest. Sure, before he hits the ground the acceleration = g and after he stops his acceleration is zero. But that's not relevant here. Hint: Use kinematics to solve for the acceleration. What's his speed just as he first touches the ground?
From what I can understand, there are two forces on the man - gravity (excuse the poor terminology) and the normal force.
Good!

Alright, so his speed just before he touches the ground is 9.41 m/s.
Then, his acceleration (or deceleration?) is 50.3 m/s^2.
Now, given that I have - okay, I think I got it. The answer was supposed to be something in the order of 5388 N and I got 5386 N, rounding it up.
Thank you so very much.
The final equation stood as
F-mg=ma where a=50.3 m/s^2 and solving for F gave me the aforementioned answer.

Good!

Related to Average Force using Newton's Laws of Motion

What is average force?

Average force refers to the overall force exerted on an object over a period of time. It is calculated by dividing the total force by the duration of time in which the force is applied.

How is average force calculated using Newton's laws of motion?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the average force (F) can be calculated by multiplying the mass (m) of an object by its acceleration (a), or F = ma. This means that the greater the mass or acceleration of an object, the greater the average force exerted on it.

What is the relationship between average force and acceleration?

The average force and acceleration of an object are directly proportional, meaning that if one increases, the other will also increase. This is known as Newton's second law of motion.

Can average force be negative?

Yes, average force can be negative if the direction of the force is opposite to the direction of motion. This means that the force is acting in the direction opposite to the motion and is slowing down the object.

How is average force different from instantaneous force?

Average force takes into account the overall force exerted on an object over a period of time, while instantaneous force refers to the force exerted on an object at a specific moment in time. Average force is calculated by dividing the total force by the duration of time, while instantaneous force is calculated at a specific point in time.