Average energy of gas of fermions at T = 0

In summary, when considering a system of N (>>1) particles with mass m in a large volume V, the average energy per particle is <E> = (2/3)*Fermi-energy for fermions, calculated using the Fermi-Dirac distribution and the total energy and N values. For bosons, the average energy is the ground state energy assuming no excitation.
Henk
Consider a system of N (>>1) particles with mass m in a (big) volume V. What is the average energy per particle if the particles are fermions.

I did some calculations and I came up with <E> = (2/3)*Fermi-energy.

Is this correct? I could post my calculations but my Latech-skills are very poor and the calculation involves some long integrals.
I used <E> = Etotal / N and calculated N and E by using the Fermi-Dirac distribution.

The other question is the same but then for bosons. In that case the average energie would be 0 right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Henk said:
Consider a system of N (>>1) particles with mass m in a (big) volume V. What is the average energy per particle if the particles are fermions.

I did some calculations and I came up with <E> = (2/3)*Fermi-energy.

Is this correct? I could post my calculations but my Latech-skills are very poor and the calculation involves some long integrals.
I used <E> = Etotal / N and calculated N and E by using the Fermi-Dirac distribution.

The other question is the same but then for bosons. In that case the average energie would be 0 right?

Only you know exactly what you did, but I think your fermion result for <E> is OK. I got the same result using the Fermi-Dirac distribution with degeneracy proportional to the energy (spherically symmetric energy distribution in momentum space) without calculating a total energy or N. If you normalize the distrubtion for some assumed Fermi energy and do the expectation integral it comes out 2/3 of the assumed Fermi energy.

Why would the boson energy be zero. Isn't the minimum energy state for any confined particle greater than zero? The average energy for bosons should be the ground state energy, assuming no exitation.

Yes, your calculation for the average energy of fermions at T=0 is correct. The average energy per particle for a system of fermions at absolute zero temperature is given by <E> = (2/3)*EFermi, where EFermi is the Fermi energy.

To explain further, the Fermi energy is the highest energy level that is occupied by a fermion in a system at absolute zero temperature. This energy level is determined by the number of particles and the volume of the system, as well as the mass of the particles. The calculation involves integrating the Fermi-Dirac distribution, which describes the probability of a fermion occupying a certain energy level.

As for your question about bosons, you are correct that the average energy for a system of bosons at T=0 would be 0. This is because bosons can occupy the same energy level, unlike fermions which follow the Pauli exclusion principle. At absolute zero temperature, all bosons would occupy the lowest energy level, resulting in an average energy of 0. This phenomenon is known as Bose-Einstein condensation.

In summary, your calculation for the average energy of fermions at T=0 is correct and your understanding of the average energy for bosons at T=0 is also correct. Keep up the good work!

Related to Average energy of gas of fermions at T = 0

1. What is the average energy of a gas of fermions at absolute zero temperature?

The average energy of a gas of fermions at T = 0 is equal to the Fermi energy, also known as the Fermi level. This is the energy level at which all available states for fermions are filled, and no more fermions can occupy those states.

2. How does the average energy of a gas of fermions at T = 0 compare to the average energy at higher temperatures?

At absolute zero temperature, the average energy of a gas of fermions is at its lowest possible value. As the temperature increases, the average energy also increases due to the increase in thermal energy of the particles.

3. Why is the average energy of a gas of fermions at T = 0 important in understanding the behavior of fermionic systems?

The average energy at T = 0 is important because it gives insight into the lowest possible energy state of a fermionic system. It also helps to understand the behavior of fermions and their interactions with each other at low temperatures.

4. How is the average energy of a gas of fermions at T = 0 related to the Pauli exclusion principle?

The Pauli exclusion principle states that no two fermions can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. At T = 0, all available quantum states are filled, and the average energy represents the energy of the highest occupied state. This is in accordance with the Pauli exclusion principle.

5. Can the average energy of a gas of fermions at T = 0 ever be zero?

No, the average energy of a gas of fermions at T = 0 can never be zero. This is because of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be known simultaneously with absolute certainty. Therefore, even at T = 0, there is still some uncertainty in the energy of the particles.