Average energy of a damped driven oscillator

I am still unsure how to simplify the sum of the Fourier series. In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Parseval's theorem to find the potential and kinetic energy in a system, with the goal of simplifying the Fourier series. The student is unsure of how to proceed and asks for advice.
Bestphysics112

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/a/lv6Uo

Homework Equations

Look below

The Attempt at a Solution

I was unsure where to start. I thought that parseval's theorem may be helpful. I know the Potential energy is equivalent to .5kx^2 and T will be the integral of the force. So i have $$<E> = \frac{1}{t} \int_{-t/2}^{t/2}\frac{1}{2}kx^2dt + \frac{1}{t}\int_{-t/2}^{t/2}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} f_0_n cos(nwt+\phi_n)dt$$

Is this on the right track? If it is, how can i simplify this?

Edit: I can't figure out how to use latex so here is my work so far: http://imgur.com/a/eTigf

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
After re reading my textbook I was able to get the correct answer

Related to Average energy of a damped driven oscillator

1. What is a damped driven oscillator?

A damped driven oscillator is a physical system that exhibits oscillations when subjected to an external driving force, but also experiences a damping force that reduces the amplitude of the oscillations over time.

2. What is the role of energy in a damped driven oscillator?

The energy of a damped driven oscillator is constantly changing due to the presence of both the driving force and the damping force. The average energy refers to the average amount of energy present in the system over a certain period of time.

3. How is the average energy of a damped driven oscillator calculated?

The average energy of a damped driven oscillator can be calculated by taking the integral of the total energy over a specific time period and dividing it by the length of that time period.

4. What factors affect the average energy of a damped driven oscillator?

The average energy of a damped driven oscillator is affected by the amplitude and frequency of the driving force, as well as the amount of damping present in the system.

5. Why is the average energy of a damped driven oscillator important?

The average energy of a damped driven oscillator provides important information about the behavior and stability of the system. It can also be used to determine the efficiency of energy transfer in the system and to make predictions about future oscillations.