The Thunderbird & Firefox appreciation thread

In summary: I switched to Firefox a few weeks ago, and I really like it. It's much faster and cleaner than IE.I use both Firefox and IE, but I prefer Firefox.
Computer science news on Phys.org
Greg, in the words of Linus Torvald - "What have you been smoking?" Sure they are great apps and I use them everyday, but come on, a thunderbird and firefox appreciation thread. That has to be the lamest thing I heard all week. :wink:

hey its not too lame. I use firebird and thus it cannot be lame =). It's great and I advise anyone who is using IE switch to firebird.

DarkAnt said:
hey its not too lame. I use firebird and thus it cannot be lame =). It's great and I advise anyone who is using IE switch to firebird.
Still using Firebird? Why not upgrade to Firefox? Actually, does anyone have the link to the plugin to change Firefox's name to whatever you want? Or where I can get the web developer toolbar for Firefox?

Michael, just go to tools->options->extensions->get new extension

The program is called "Firesomething"

dduardo said:
Michael, just go to tools->options->extensions->get new extension

The program is called "Firesomething"
Thanks. I really should have switched from regular Mozilla to Firefox ages ago, it just feels so much cleaner. I found the web developer toolbar too, which is great since I like that one.

Is thunderbird highly recommended? Any better than similar programs?

I use thunderbird and I like it. If your on windows you can also try eudora.

Michael2003 said:
Still using Firebird? Why not upgrade to Firefox?

The name has changed too much. I am using firefox. Like dduardo said, its firesomething.

Ever since I started using Firefox the hot babes just kept coming on to me. Thanks Firefox!

Argh, I can't get used to it! I've installed and uinstalled Firefox at least 4 times on this computer. I want to use it, but I dunno.

Like if I get a thing and want to watch a video that is streaming or whatever, do I have to load IE?

Streaming media works fine in firefox. You must not be doing something right.

Oops, I didn't mean to imply that the media didn't work in Firefox, I had thought I read that Firefox was strictly a browser and didn't do all the less-common things that other web-browsers like IE do.

Huh? What less-common things?

Ok.. :)

I gave in and tried it out for more than 10 minutes. Now I love it!

I have the Phoenity theme, and the Download Manager Tweak, Compact Menu and Clone Window extensions. I've got a neat little config with my menu bar, and amazon, dictionary, google and ircspy searches.

I really like it. I've adjusted to tabbed browsing, I really like it. I make a mistake sometimes and close all my tabs by accident by closing the browser, but it hasnt happened in a while. I like it. I like the bookmark thing, I've moved them around a bit, and how I can open an entire folder at once in different tabs... That is badass! Lighting fast, I'm liking this :)

the two programs are great, i use them both. hotmail cannot work in thunderbird though (atleast i don't know how to do it). this should get hotmail to have pop and smtp servers. just yesterday i learned that AOL did so themselves.

I don't like thunderbird, I can't figure out how the hell to set the SMTP password. My server requires a specific name and password that are not the same as the POP3 username and password.

It will ask you for the smtp password the first time you try to send outgoing mail.

Nope. It just informs me that the server has denied access. Doesn't prompt me for a password or anything.

1. What is "The Thunderbird & Firefox appreciation thread" about?

The Thunderbird & Firefox appreciation thread is a forum thread dedicated to discussing and expressing appreciation for the two popular open-source software programs, Thunderbird and Firefox. Both programs are developed by the Mozilla Foundation and are widely used for email and web browsing, respectively.

2. What makes Thunderbird and Firefox special compared to other email and web browsing programs?

Thunderbird and Firefox are free and open-source software, meaning that their source code is publicly available for anyone to view, modify, and distribute. This allows for a more transparent and community-driven development process. Additionally, both programs prioritize user privacy and security, with features such as built-in ad blockers and encryption.

3. How long have Thunderbird and Firefox been around?

Thunderbird was first released in 2004, while Firefox was initially launched in 2002 under the name "Phoenix" and was later renamed "Firebird" before settling on its current name in 2004. Both programs have been continuously developed and updated since their initial releases.

4. Can I contribute to the development of Thunderbird and Firefox?

Yes, both Thunderbird and Firefox are open-source projects and welcome community contributions. You can contribute by reporting bugs, submitting code, providing translations, and participating in discussions on their respective community forums.

5. Are there any other programs or projects related to Thunderbird and Firefox?

Yes, there are several other projects that are closely related to Thunderbird and Firefox, such as the Mozilla Thunderbird add-ons repository and the Mozilla Developer Network (MDN) for Firefox web development resources. There are also many third-party extensions and themes available for both programs, created by community developers.