What is the mass of a gas sample at STP?

• Thread starter Dx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the conversation discusses the volume of a sample at STP and the question of its mass. The initial response suggests a mass of 4g based on atomic mass, but the correctness is questioned. The conversation then delves into determining the number of moles at STP, with the suggestion of using Avogadro's number.
Dx
Hi!

A simple He occupies 44.8L at STP. what is the mass of the sample?

my answer was 4g since the atomic mass is 4u but I am wrong. someone/anyone enlighten me towards the right path so I may be one again.
Thanks!
Dx :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
44.8 L at STP is how many moles?

Originally posted by Bystander
44.8 L at STP is how many moles?

I donno? the question doesn't say. nor can i find out how to compute that since i don't have the mass.

Somewhere in the text or lectures for your course, it has been stated, " One mole of an ideal gas occupies 22.4 L at STP." If it ain't been said outright to you previously, it has now. One mole also contains Avogadro's number of molecules, 6.02x10E23. This should have you in business on this and your other posted question. If not, holler.

1. What is mass?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. It is often confused with weight, but unlike weight, mass remains constant regardless of the gravitational pull acting on the object.

2. How is mass measured?

Mass is typically measured using a balance or a scale. The unit of measurement for mass is usually grams (g) or kilograms (kg).

3. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass remains constant, but weight may vary depending on the gravitational pull.

4. How is mass related to density?

Mass and density are directly related. Density is defined as the amount of mass in a given volume. This means that the more mass an object has, the higher its density will be.

5. Can mass be changed?

Mass is a fundamental property of matter and cannot be changed, unless matter is added or removed from the object. However, the weight of an object may change due to factors such as gravity or motion.