Average Atomic mass of the human body?

In summary, the average atom in a human is about A = 10. The mass of the average atom in a human body is about 1 kg. There are more amu in me than grams in the earth.
Chaos' lil bro Order
I was wondering average atomic mass is of a fully grown male human. What I mean by this is, if we consider the human body to be comprised of mainly Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen, Nitrogen and other trace elements like Calcium, Sodium, Phosphorus, etc. Is it possible to determine an estimate about what the mass of the average atom is in our body? I'm guessing it would be about as heavy as carbon, but maybe less since hydrogen is very prevalent biologically.

My guess is the mass of the average atom in the human body is A = 10. Has anyone ever done a study of this, or is it too difficult to ascertain the proportions of atoms in our body? hmmm...

Biology news on Phys.org
Oooh. I'm carryin' around almost two pounds of phosphorus, am I? Surprising.

- Warren

Fantastic link, ty.

Given the values cited, I'd estimate an average atom is about A =12, or carbon.

Ya the nearly 1kg of Phosphorus is surprising to me too. Besides adenosine triphosphate, adenosine diphosphate and hyrogen phosphate, I can't think of any other bio molecules it would be found in. Anyone want to add to this list?

Chaos' lil bro Order said:
Ya the nearly 1kg of Phosphorus is surprising to me too. Besides adenosine triphosphate, adenosine diphosphate and hyrogen phosphate, I can't think of any other bio molecules it would be found in. Anyone want to add to this list?
Your bones are mostly calcium phosphate. That's where I'd guess the majority of the phosphorus comes from.

Interesting.

I couldn't resist adding it to my list of http://www.davesbrain.ca/bio_davesatoms.php" .

Last edited by a moderator:
DNA, RNA, NAD, NADP are all important and common cellular molecules that contain phosphorus.

DaveC426913 said:
I couldn't resist adding it to my list of http://www.davesbrain.ca/bio_davesatoms.php" .

That is a very nice picture dave, you have a keen eye for displaying information in a clean and intuitive manner. When I have time I'll read more on your site.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Average Atomic mass of the human body?

1. What is the average atomic mass of the human body?

The average atomic mass of the human body is approximately 65% oxygen, 18.5% carbon, 9.5% hydrogen, and 3.2% nitrogen, with trace amounts of other elements such as calcium, phosphorus, and sulfur.

2. How is the average atomic mass of the human body determined?

The average atomic mass of the human body is determined by analyzing the chemical composition of the body and calculating the weighted average atomic mass of all the elements present.

3. Does the average atomic mass of the human body vary among individuals?

Yes, the average atomic mass of the human body can vary among individuals depending on factors such as age, gender, and overall health. However, the overall percentage of elements present in the body remains relatively consistent.

4. Why is the average atomic mass of the human body important in scientific research?

The average atomic mass of the human body is important in scientific research as it provides valuable information about the chemical composition and overall functioning of the human body. It also helps in understanding various diseases and disorders that may affect the body's chemical balance.

5. Can the average atomic mass of the human body change over time?

Yes, the average atomic mass of the human body can change over time due to factors such as diet, exercise, and environmental exposure. However, these changes are relatively small and do not significantly impact the overall average atomic mass of the body.