Average Angular Speed of Tower

In summary, the top of a tower in Pisa, Italy moves towards the south at a rate of 1.4 mm/y and has an average angular speed of 7.5244E-13 rad/s about its base. However, there may be a problem with the formula or sig figs in the computer-graded question.
R.H.2010

Homework Statement

The top of a tower much like the leaning bell tower at Pisa, Italy, moves toward the south at an average rate of 1.4 mm/y. The tower is 59 m tall. In radians per second, what is the average angular speed of the tower's top about its base?

Homework Equations

ωavg=Δθ/Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

I first converted 1.4 mm/y :
1.4mm/y = (1m/1000mm) × (1y/365days) × (1day/24hr) × (1hr/60min) × (1min/60sec) = 4.4394E-11
Then, I divided the above answer by 59 m : (4.4394E-11)/59m = 7.5244E-13 rad/s but this wasn't correct. Where am I making my mistake? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks OK to me. I assume this is a computer-graded question. I see three possibilities (a) the formula that allows the machine to calculate the correct answer is incorrect, (b) you incorrectly entered the powers of 10 or (c) there is a problem with sig figs.

Related to Average Angular Speed of Tower

1. What is the average angular speed of a tower?

The average angular speed of a tower refers to the average rate at which the tower rotates around its axis. It is measured in radians per unit of time, such as radians per second.

2. How is the average angular speed of a tower calculated?

The average angular speed of a tower can be calculated by dividing the total angular displacement by the total time taken. In other words, it is the change in angle divided by the change in time.

3. Why is the average angular speed of a tower important?

The average angular speed of a tower is important because it helps us understand the rotational motion of the tower. It also allows us to calculate other important parameters, such as angular velocity and angular acceleration.

4. What factors can affect the average angular speed of a tower?

The average angular speed of a tower can be affected by various factors, such as the shape and size of the tower, the material it is made of, and any external forces acting on it.

5. Can the average angular speed of a tower be changed?

Yes, the average angular speed of a tower can be changed by altering the factors that affect it. For example, by changing the shape or size of the tower, or by applying external forces to it, we can change its average angular speed.

Back