Average Acceleration (gravity question)

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving gravity and the time it takes for an object to fall to earth. The problem involves finding a way to calculate the time without taking into account other bodies in the universe. The question of using the average value of gravitational acceleration is also raised. However, it is mentioned that in the general case, solving an integral is necessary.
clm222
Hello. I was doing some physics and I came across a problem involving gravity.
The problem was finding out how long (in disregaurd to atmosphere) long (time) it would take for a body to reach earth. I'm familiar with distance's derivatives, which give me:
[tex]t=\sqrt{\frac{2D}{g}}[/tex]
where t=time D=distance g=gravitational acceleration.

Although using g=9.8 is fine for short distances, it wouldn't really work at, say 2500km (about g=5) above the surface of the earth.

I'm curious as to how I may find the time it will take the object to fall? I'm not worried about what happens in between the distance. I'm not taking into account other bodies in the universe (its just a hypothetical physics problem). Since the derivative of g will depend on distance, and since D(t) is dependant on g, that doesn't really work. I'm wondering if i can use the average value of g? although the first bit of time will calculate the body being faster, the last bit of time it won't be getting as much speed. Can I do this?

does:
[tex]t=\sqrt{\frac{2D}{g_{avg}}}?[/tex]

can I do this for any varying acceleration? I know how to find averages of functions, please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The same question was discussed here yesterday. In the general case, you have to solve an integral.
If the falling distance is not too large (still small compared to the diameter of earth), you might get away with an average g, but this will underestimate the falling time.

Related to Average Acceleration (gravity question)

1. What is average acceleration?

Average acceleration is the average rate at which an object's velocity changes over a certain period of time. It is represented by the symbol "a" and is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

2. How is average acceleration calculated?

Average acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity (final velocity - initial velocity) by the change in time. The formula for average acceleration is: a = (vf - vi) / t.

3. What is the difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the overall change in velocity over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration is calculated by looking at the change in velocity over a certain time interval, while instantaneous acceleration is calculated by looking at the change in velocity at a specific point in time.

4. How does gravity affect average acceleration?

Gravity is a force that causes objects to accelerate towards the Earth. The acceleration due to gravity is constant and is approximately 9.8 m/s². This means that any object falling towards the Earth will have an average acceleration of 9.8 m/s², regardless of its mass.

5. What are some real-life examples of average acceleration?

Some real-life examples of average acceleration include: a car accelerating from a stoplight, a roller coaster going down a steep hill, a person jumping off a diving board, and a rocket launching into space.