Available materials for Faraday rotation experiment

In summary, the high school student is trying to find a way to create a magnetic field around a sample, and is having difficulty finding a sustainable source for polarizers and light analyzers. He also mentions that some lasers are polarized, and that using a glass rod to see the effect is difficult.
KShah423
I am a high school student experimenting with the Verdet constant of materials and how it affects the polarization of light in magneto-rotation. I have trouble acquiring the proper materials for this experiment. Here is what I have so far:

-AC/DC Power Supply
-Gaussmeter
-Optical laser under 5MW
-Neodymium Magnets
-Solenoid
-Various samples that light can pass throughI need polarisers and light analyzers to complete the apparatus. I also think the neodymium magnets will be too weak to create a magnetic field surrounding my sample. I would appreciate any advice on sustainable polarizers, analysers, and magnets that are relatively cheap (under $60).

Physics news on Phys.org
An easy source for polarizer/analyzer is a pair of polarized sunglasses, Polaroid is one widely available brand. In the U.S., drug stores often carry them. It is easiest to remove the lenses from the ones than clip onto eyeglasses, and they are often the cheapest but a little harder to find. Watch out for very cheap ones, they sometimes are not polarized, just tinted. To check them, grab two pair and check that transmission drops dramatically when rotated with respect to each other.

Also, not necessarily a problem, but be aware that some lasers are polarized.

As to magnet strength, you have a Gaussmeter so you can measure them. An online search for 'Verdet constant' should reveal the sensitivity of various materials.

A somtimes-cheap source for some fairly strong magnets is to tear apart an old computer hard disk drive. Maybe your local computer repair store has a junk one you can talk them out of. After you get the cover off the drive itself you will see the disk recording surfaces and an arm that moves the read/write head(s) across the disk surfaces. The arm is mounted on a motor that, when disassembled, has a few VERY strong magnets. (I use them for refrigerator magnets.)

Good luck, and let us know how things work out!

Likes KShah423
You can buy polarizer sheets for much less than 60$. Just look online.
Square pieces (1" size) can be around 1$ a piece.
Polarizing eyeglasses may be more expensive. Unless you have some you don't need anymore. :smile:

KShah423 said:
I am a high school student experimenting with the Verdet constant of materials and how it affects the polarization of light in magneto-rotation. I have trouble acquiring the proper materials for this experiment. Here is what I have so far:

-AC/DC Power Supply
-Gaussmeter
-Optical laser under 5MW
-Neodymium Magnets
-Solenoid
-Various samples that light can pass throughI need polarisers and light analyzers to complete the apparatus. I also think the neodymium magnets will be too weak to create a magnetic field surrounding my sample. I would appreciate any advice on sustainable polarizers, analysers, and magnets that are relatively cheap (under $60).
It is possible to see the effect using a glass rod. The rotation is very small and so the effect can only just be seen. One problem you have with permanent magnets is how to remove the magnetic field, so as to see the difference, without disturbing the set up. For this reason, the method in last school used a big horse shoe electromagnet (actually part of the transformer kit) about 10 cm long with 3 cm diameter legs and 1200 turns of wire. It has closely spaced pole pieces having light holes. I am trying to recall the exact geometry.

tech99 said:
It is possible to see the effect using a glass rod. The rotation is very small and so the effect can only just be seen. One problem you have with permanent magnets is how to remove the magnetic field, so as to see the difference, without disturbing the set up. For this reason, the method in last school used a big horse shoe electromagnet (actually part of the transformer kit) about 10 cm long with 3 cm diameter legs and 1200 turns of wire. It has closely spaced pole pieces having light holes. I am trying to recall the exact geometry.
This link shows the geometry I am describing:-
http://www.ld-didactic.de/documents/en-US/EXP/P/P5/P5461_e.pdf

Related to Available materials for Faraday rotation experiment

1. What materials are commonly used for Faraday rotation experiments?

Some common materials used for Faraday rotation experiments include glass, quartz, and various crystals such as yttrium iron garnet (YIG) and bismuth iron garnet (BIG).

2. Can I use any type of glass for a Faraday rotation experiment?

No, not all types of glass are suitable for Faraday rotation experiments. Generally, glasses with low iron content and high transmittance in the desired wavelength range are preferred.

3. What is the role of the magnetic field in Faraday rotation experiments?

The magnetic field is essential in Faraday rotation experiments as it causes the rotation of polarized light passing through a material with a magneto-optical effect. The strength and direction of the magnetic field can affect the degree of rotation.

4. Are there any limitations to the materials that can exhibit Faraday rotation?

Yes, not all materials exhibit Faraday rotation. Only materials with a magneto-optical effect, such as certain glasses and crystals, can demonstrate this phenomenon.

5. How do I choose the appropriate material for my Faraday rotation experiment?

The choice of material depends on the specific objectives and requirements of the experiment, such as the desired wavelength range, magnetic field strength, and sensitivity. It is recommended to consult with experts in the field for guidance on selecting the most suitable material.