Available energy in particle collision derivation

In summary, the formula for the center of momentum frame can be derived by using the relativistic energy equations. This involves finding the equation for E_a^2 and understanding that the net momentum cannot convert all kinetic energy into mass. When solving for E, it is important to use the correct equation for energy and account for the square on c in (m c)^2.
Piyu
Hello, I am trying to derive the formula given in by
efb9e576092eb4d730507b816e60f09e.png

I understand we need to move it to the center of momentum frame to solve. Using the relativistic energy equations. I find that :

E = E1 + E2
E1 = sqrt((Mc)2+(pc)2)
E2 = sqrt((mc)2+(pc)2)

where both have equal magnitudes momentum p since its the center of momentum frame.

However, this is where i get stuck. no matter how i add them up i can't seem to get rid of the square root signs and solve the equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

I'm assuming you got the equation from Wikipedia - it's correct, however, Wikipedia is rather vague on where they actually got the equation from.

The starting equation you are looking for is,
[tex]E_a^2 = \left(\sum_{i=1}^n E_i \right)^2 - \left(\sum_{i=1}^n p_i c \right)^2[/tex]
where the sums are over each particle included in the system. In your case, these would be the moving particle and the stationary particle. I must admit I don't completely understand the equation (we mentioned it in the particle physics course), but I guess Wikipedia is correct about the net momentum not being able to convert the whole kinetic energy into mass (represented as the subtraction in the equation). The squares are probably there, just to ensure that the available energy is constant before and after the collision.

E = E1 + E2
E1 = sqrt((Mc)2+(pc)2)
E2 = sqrt((mc)2+(pc)2)
Also be sure to take the correct equation for energy (you are missing a square on [itex]c[/itex] at [itex](m c)^2[/itex]).

Hope this has been helpful.

Related to Available energy in particle collision derivation

1. What is the concept of available energy in particle collision?

The concept of available energy in particle collision refers to the maximum amount of energy that can be transferred during a collision between particles. This energy is calculated by taking into account the masses and velocities of the particles involved.

2. How is available energy calculated in a particle collision?

The available energy in a particle collision is calculated using the equation E = √(s^2 - 4m1^2m2^2c^4), where E is the available energy, s is the center-of-mass energy, m1 and m2 are the masses of the colliding particles, and c is the speed of light.

3. What is the significance of available energy in particle collisions?

The available energy in particle collisions is significant because it determines the maximum potential for new particles or energy to be created during a collision. It also helps scientists understand the fundamental forces and interactions between particles.

4. Can available energy be greater than the center-of-mass energy in a particle collision?

No, the available energy cannot be greater than the center-of-mass energy in a particle collision. This is because the available energy is calculated using the center-of-mass energy and the masses of the particles, and it represents the maximum amount of energy that can be transferred during the collision.

5. How does the available energy affect the outcome of a particle collision?

The available energy plays a crucial role in determining the outcome of a particle collision. If the available energy is high enough, new particles or energy can be created. However, if the available energy is too low, no new particles can be produced and the particles will simply scatter off each other.