What sets humans apart from other animals?

• Thread starter Mentat
  • Start date
In summary, the differences between humans and other living creatures are due to our unique abilities and abilities that are extensions of our pack hunting instincts.
Originally posted by Alexander
My contribution is very important: I try to always remind that before discussing anything make sure to clearly define the object of discussion. I see so many threads wasting time just because two (or more) persons mean different animal by the same word. As well as tons of time wasted because people discuss undefinable (thus, inexisting) objects - like god(s) or souls.

On this, I agree with you. I have said many times that most issues here are semantic ones. But I see no productive contribution from you on this matter. All I see is you demeaning the whole philosophical exercise. I've never seen you trying to "progress" the discussion with a refinement of definition.

So I ask again, What do YOU think is a worthy topic or question to ponder in the philosophy forum? I think the answer to this will reveal my point.

Why should I go away? I RATIONALYSE and CONCRETISE the discussion.

I think you should go away ASAP not to fog issues futher.

Save our time, OK?

If you feel the topics here are a waste of time then you can either try to help others see that or you can go away without insulting them. Since you are definitely not doing the first, then I suggested you do the latter.

BTW, it is possible that you may be trying to help. But if so, then you need to learn that you will never teach anyone anything by insulting them. Perhaps your education system should have concentrated a little less on memorizing textbooks and a little more more on how to successfully function socially.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by drag
Greetings Mentat !

Put one of those on the forest since he
was a baby and his parents too and see
how much technology he'll have...:wink:

I fully agree with wuli and Alexander here.
The reason there is such a distinction is
because we have accumulated great amounts
of knowledge and we are really great in number.
There are many things that helped us do
this - language, our bodies good adaptability
for maneuvering and making small objects (tools),
our pack mentality and more. These things
helped us develop and in turn we better
developed these things and that as they say
is history.

(You have to hand it to me - at least I was
more polite then those two... )

Live long and prosper.

Come one, it's Wu Li! It's no great accomplishment to be less rude them him. But I do thank you for the tactful nature of your response.

Why should I go away? I RATIONALYSE and CONCRETISE the discussion.
Am I the only person who senses echoes of Lifegazer here? Erm... Alex... I agree with most of what you say, but rationality alone never gives a straight answer.
Don't go away, though...

Originally posted by Sauwelios
But can he keep them, or at least remember making them? Can he think about the future?

It's easy and cheap to pick on someone who can't defend themselves. Koko invented her own cuss words like "toilet face" and begged for a cat. Eventually they capitulated and brought her a kitten which she adored and treated very gently. When the kitten was run over by a car and killed Koko cried for days.

It's been estimated that higher primates like Koko obtain at best the intellectual capacity of a five year old human child, but as any parent can confirm young children have tremendous imaginations and complex emotional lives. They also have a clear idea of future consequences, especially ones that impact negatively.

This has also been established as having a biological basis. Our brain chemistry works to reinforce negative memories for the sake of survival. Negative experiences can be fleeting and seldom repeated, but we remember them better and can ponder them repeatedly for days or even for a lifetime. If severe enough or repeated enough, they can even permanently alter our brain chemistry making us less social, more anxious and more aggressive. Not just randomly so, but selectively so as is the case with people who acquire phobias.

Last edited: