Automagically generated smilies

• Thread starter D H
  • Start date
In summary, a colon followed by a lowercase s results in a sad-faced smiley, and typing "std :: string" without spaces will produce "std::string". However, this can cause issues with computer code. One solution is to ignore BBcode within [code] tags. Additionally, using a variable index in bracketed arrays in C code can also cause problems with BBcode parsing.
D H
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
A colon followed by a lower case s automagically results in a sad-faced smiley: :s .This means when someone types "std :: string" without the spaces (which is the canonical way to type that), they will get this: std::string.

I don't know what the solution is, but this bites when it comes to computer code.

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
We can change that
There are a few other funny cases as well - for example, a simple smiley :) morphs into the jaw-drop smiley if you happen to put it at the end of a naturally parenthesized expression (such as this one:))

I doubt there is any easy fix for that one, as the three-character sequence is genuinely ambiguous

D H said:
I don't know what the solution is, but this bites when it comes to computer code.
Greg Bernhardt said:
We can change that
Maybe make it so that BBcode stuff inside [ code ] tags is ignored.

A different problem comes with C code that has arrays indexed by a variable i. The BBCode parsing turns the bracketed index in a[ i ] into the leading italics tag, and generally screws things up. I had to insert extra spaces here to keep this from happening.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

Related to Automagically generated smilies

1. What are "Automagically generated smilies"?

Automagically generated smilies are digital images or icons that are automatically created by a computer program to convey emotions or expressions in online communication, such as in chat rooms, forums, or social media. These smilies are typically used to add a touch of personality and humor to text-based messages.

2. How are "Automagically generated smilies" created?

The creation of automagically generated smilies involves programming algorithms that can generate specific facial expressions or emotions based on certain keywords or symbols. These algorithms use a combination of shapes, colors, and patterns to create the smilies, which are then displayed as images or icons.

3. What are the benefits of using "Automagically generated smilies"?

Using automagically generated smilies can enhance the tone and context of online communication by adding visual cues that may not be apparent in text alone. They can also help to convey emotions more clearly and quickly, and add a fun and playful element to online conversations.

4. Can "Automagically generated smilies" be customized?

Yes, automagically generated smilies can be customized to fit the preferences of the user or the platform they are being used on. This can include changing the size, color, or style of the smilies, as well as adding new expressions or symbols to the existing library.

5. Are there any downsides to using "Automagically generated smilies"?

One potential downside of using automagically generated smilies is that they may be misinterpreted or overused, leading to confusion or distraction in online communication. Additionally, some people may find them annoying or unnecessary. It is important to use them in moderation and consider the context and audience before using them.