Auto Focus Camera: Learn How it Works

• Thread starter nightsparkling
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Camera
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an infrared pulse emitted by an auto-focus camera to calculate the distance of a target. The question arises about the effectiveness of this method, as all objects emit infrared radiation and the camera may receive signals from other sources. It is mentioned that the camera may use a shorter wavelength than what is emitted by people, similar to night vision goggles. However, there is a concern that the camera may focus incorrectly if the target is not a person. The conversation concludes by mentioning that the camera may have other features to overcome this issue.
nightsparkling
Hi everyone,

An auto-focus camera emits an infrared pulse and detects the pulse reflected from the target, then it calculates the distance of that target from the camera (i.e. it can focus the target). As far as I know, all objects will emit infrared radiation, so what is the use of the pulse emitted by the camera? Or if I put it differently, even if the camera emits an infrared pulse, but can it receive another pulse from the target ? or even receiving pulses from another object which is not the target?

Physics news on Phys.org
But sometimes, the target of the camera may not be a person, right? (forgive me if I ask a stupid question...)
So, will the camera detect other infrared radiation and focus wrongly?

I imagine if you were taking a picture of something radiating the same frequency of light it could fool the camera.

Someone else here at PF more familiar with camera tech should be able to answer that.

Here's more info on auto-focus:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autofocus

The camera may have other features that allow it to overcome various issues like this.

Last edited:

Related to Auto Focus Camera: Learn How it Works

What is an auto focus camera?

An auto focus camera is a type of camera that uses a system of sensors and motors to automatically adjust focus on the subject being photographed. This allows for clear and sharp images without the need for manual focus adjustments.

How does an auto focus camera work?

An auto focus camera works by using a combination of sensors, motors, and algorithms to determine the distance between the camera and the subject. The camera then adjusts the focus by moving the lens back and forth until the subject is in focus.

What are the benefits of using an auto focus camera?

The main benefit of using an auto focus camera is that it allows for quick and accurate focus adjustments, making it easier to capture clear and sharp images. It also eliminates the need for manual focus adjustments, making the photography process more efficient.

Are there different types of auto focus cameras?

Yes, there are different types of auto focus cameras, such as contrast detection autofocus, phase detection autofocus, and hybrid autofocus. These different types use different methods and technologies to achieve focus.

Do all cameras have auto focus?

No, not all cameras have auto focus. Some older and more basic cameras may have manual focus only. However, most modern digital cameras, including smartphones, have auto focus capabilities.