Atwood Machine on a Frictionless Inclined Plane: Components Resolution

In summary, the conversation is about an Atwood machine on a frictionless inclined plane. The person has isolated the masses and drawn free body diagrams to better understand the forces involved. They have asked two questions about why the components m1gcosθ and m1gsinθ can't be interchanged, and why the angle θ cannot be changed to (90 - θ). The person has received an explanation and thanked the person who provided it.
logearav

Homework Statement

Revered Members,
Kindly see my attachments.

Homework Equations

This is Atwood machine dealing with motion on a frictionless inclined plane.

The Attempt at a Solution

To better visualize the forces involved, i isolated m1 and m2 and drawn free body diagrams for both. For mass m1, there are three concurrent forces, that is, T,m1g,and N, where T is the force in the string because of Tension and N is the normal force of the table on the block. The assumption is m1 accelerates up the plane, which is taken in x direction. Now, the weight m1g is broken down into components. The x component is in the assumed direction of acceleration , and the y component acts perpendicularly to the plane and is balanced by the normal force N.
I have shown the components in the attachment1. My question is
1) why m1gcosθ and m1gsinθ can't be interchanged, as given in my second attachment?
2) what is wrong in changing the angle θ, that lies between m1g and m1gcosθ( first attachment) to between m1gsinθ and m1g?

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 372
Physics news on Phys.org
You can either work with θ or with (90 - θ), the latter angle you can call β. But, of course, you cannot call them both θ in the same problem.

But invariably in all the books i referred , the Tension is always balanced by the mgcosθ and not by mgsinθ. My teacher said, that 90 - θ should be the sine component always and θ should be cos component. Is that so?

See the attachment.

Attachments

• DIAG.doc
    36 KB · Views: 177
Oh! Beautifully explained grzz. Thanks a lot. I got it now.

Related to Atwood Machine on a Frictionless Inclined Plane: Components Resolution

1. What is the definition of resolution of components?

The resolution of components is the smallest distance or size at which two separate components can be distinguished or resolved by an imaging device or measurement tool.

2. How is the resolution of components determined?

The resolution of components is determined by the optical properties of the imaging device or measurement tool, such as the size of the aperture or the wavelength of the light used.

3. How does the resolution of components affect the quality of an image or measurement?

The higher the resolution of components, the better the quality of the image or measurement. A higher resolution allows for more detailed and accurate information to be captured.

4. Can the resolution of components be improved?

Yes, the resolution of components can be improved by using more advanced imaging devices or measurement tools with better optical properties, or by optimizing the setup and conditions of the experiment.

5. Is there a limit to the resolution of components?

Yes, there is a limit to the resolution of components known as the diffraction limit. This limit is determined by the wavelength of the light used and the numerical aperture of the imaging device or measurement tool.