"Attraction Force x Energy Accumulation" clarification

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of energy and its relationship to the Earth and Moon. The main point being made is that while energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can be transferred and transformed into different forms. The process of tidal energy being converted into electrical energy is described, and the question is raised about whether this means energy can be created over time. The answer is that the Earth and Moon system will eventually reach a point where there is no tidal energy to harvest, and the Moon will gradually move further away from the Earth due to the transfer of angular momentum. This is due to the Earth rotating faster than the Moon orbits, causing the Moon's orbit to expand.
Shiki
First of all, I did not major in Physics, but I did pass GCE with A. (This is to make a point, not to boast.)

But there's a matter that doesn't make any sense to me, and none of my acquaintances could give me the clarification so I came to this forum, hoping someone can make me understand this.

[Please move this thread to the necessary section, if I posted it in a wrong section. Thanks in advance.]
-----------------------------------
"Energy can neither be created nor destroyed."

"A force of an attraction exists between any two objects that have mass. The more mass they have, the greater the force of attraction. The closer they are, the greater the force of attraction."

The problem is...

Let's say, there's an Earth and a moon.

The attraction force between them won't disappear any time soon, and so it will remain constant.

However, the gravitational energy of moon acts on the tidal waves...

Gravitational energy => Tidal energy

The tidal energy is then converted to mechanical energy, which is converted to electrical energy.

Tidal Energy => Mechanical Energy => Electrical Energy

So in the end, we get an electrical energy.

However, we move that electrical energy to another planet, which is not the Earth (or moon).

We repeat this process multiple times.

However, the attraction force between the Earth and Moon will still remain constant.

And, we will always be able to convert the electrical energy from it.

The energy source will never be depleted.

Doesn't this mean that the energy can be created over the time?

Or, am I wrong? Can anyone help me clarify it? Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The moon will gradually move closer to the Earth due to this effect. Energy is dissipated over time so the energy of the earth/moon system must reduce.

Likes Shiki
If memory serves me the torque exerted by the moon on the Earth due to tidal effects slows the period of Earth's rotation on the order of magnitude of about 1 millisecond per century. Eventually the Earth will be tidally locked to the moon and there will be no tides (assuming the sun hasn't gone red giant yet). Hence there will be no tidal energy to harvest.

Likes Shiki and Jilang
Sorry, yes I was just thinking about the gravitational energy. There is also kinetic energy too.

Likes Shiki
I see. Thank you for the very quick replies. o.o

Even counting the sun's attraction force, it is possible for the Earth to be tidally locked?

And, can you explain why it would "move further away" and not "closer"?

Shiki said:
We repeat this process multiple times.

However, the attraction force between the Earth and Moon will still remain constant.

And, we will always be able to convert the electrical energy from it.

The energy source will never be depleted.

The Moon is gradually moving away from the Earth as the tides transfer angular momentum from the Earth to the Moon, which increases its orbital angular momentum. This increase in orbital angular momentum manifests as an increase in the Moon's orbital radius over time. The transfer of angular momentum slows the rotation of the Earth down, which reduces its rotational energy. No energy is lost and the total energy of the Earth-Moon system remains the same.

If you use the tides to generate energy, less energy is transferred to the Moon, but the Earth still slows down.

Also, this isn't about the attractive force of gravity changing. Fundamental forces do not use energy, they create it. That's why work (energy is the ability to perform work) is defined as a force applied over a distance, or W=F x D. So a book on your table has a constant force applied to it through the Earth's gravity, but no work is done on it and hence no energy is used or lost since it isn't moving. If the book then falls off the table to the floor, gravitational potential energy is first transformed into kinetic energy as the book accelerates and then into heat and sound when the book hits the floor. The book is now in a lower energy state than it was before falling.

Likes Shiki
Shiki said:
And, can you explain why it would "move further away" and not "closer"?

The Earth rotates faster than the Moon orbits, so the bulges produced by the Moon's gravity are rotated forwards. The closer bulge pulls the Moon forward in its orbit more than the further bulge pulls it backwards (because the closer bulge has more attraction by virtue of being closer). This accelerates the Moon, which drives its orbit outwards. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_acceleration

220px-Tidal_braking.svg.png

Likes Shiki
Wow, thank you very much.

I'm very glad for the answers. I'm bookmarking this link. :)

What is "Attraction Force x Energy Accumulation"?

"Attraction Force x Energy Accumulation" is a scientific concept that refers to the relationship between the force of attraction between two objects and the amount of energy accumulated between them. It helps to explain the behavior of objects in fields such as physics and chemistry.

How is Attraction Force x Energy Accumulation calculated?

The calculation for Attraction Force x Energy Accumulation involves using mathematical equations to determine the amount of force between two objects and the amount of energy accumulated between them. These calculations can vary depending on the specific situation and type of objects involved.

What are some real-life examples of Attraction Force x Energy Accumulation?

One example of Attraction Force x Energy Accumulation is the gravitational force between the Earth and the moon. This force is responsible for keeping the moon in orbit around the Earth and also causes tides on Earth. Another example is the electrostatic force between protons and electrons in an atom, which holds the atom together.

What is the importance of understanding Attraction Force x Energy Accumulation?

Understanding Attraction Force x Energy Accumulation is crucial for understanding how objects interact with each other and how energy is transferred between them. This knowledge is essential in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering, where it is used to design and predict the behavior of various systems.

Are there any practical applications of Attraction Force x Energy Accumulation?

Yes, there are many practical applications of Attraction Force x Energy Accumulation. For example, it is used in the design of bridges and buildings to ensure they can withstand the forces of gravity and wind. It is also utilized in the development of new technologies, such as magnetic levitation trains, which use magnetic attraction and energy accumulation to propel the train forward.