Attracting small splinters of glass with a Van de Graaff generator

In summary, the rod isn't charged enough to attract the splinters, and filling them up with water doesn't work because the charge on the splinters gets spread out and they repelled.
riseandsinh
Hello,

I work for a container factory where re-used bottles have a lot of tiny glass splinters. Inspired by the standard experiment of picking up glass splinters using a comb, I thought I could insert a charged rod into a bottle to attract little splinters towards it. To get similar voltages as a comb, I bought a small tabletop Van De Graaff generator.

I took a rod, connected it to the VDG sphere, and tried placing a few splinters close to it. The splinters don't seem to get attracted to the rod in any consistent way. Some of them 'orient' themselves towards the rod, but don't move towards it. Some touch the rod and then repel. I don't know how to proceed from now - could anyone please throw some light on this? My ultimate aim is to get rid of the splinters in whatever way possible.

I'm new here, so please let me know if I should re-post this in a more appropriate sub-forum. Thanks a lot in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
riseandsinh said:
Hello,
I took a rod, connected it to the VDG sphere, and tried placing a few splinters close to it. The splinters don't seem to get attracted to the rod in any consistent way. Some of them 'orient' themselves towards the rod, but don't move towards it.

That's because the rod isn't charged enough for the splinters to overcome the friction of the surface they're sitting on and start moving towards the rod.

Some touch the rod and then repel.

That's because when the splinters hit the rod, the charge on the rod tries to spread out across the splinters. The splinters will then have the same charge as the rod and repel it.

I don't know how to proceed from now - could anyone please throw some light on this? My ultimate aim is to get rid of the splinters in whatever way possible.

What's wrong with filling them up with water, giving them a good shake, and dumping out the water? That seems fast and reliable.

Thank you for the quick reply, I was suspecting the low charge magnitude and the charge transfer were causing these problems.

ideasrule said:
That's because when the splinters hit the rod, the charge on the rod tries to spread out across the splinters. The splinters will then have the same charge as the rod and repel it.

Would it be possible to shield the sphere in some way so that the splinters do get attracted to it, but there is no charge transfer (and so no repelling, so they will stick to it)? I tried a plastic and paper coating, but that did not work.

ideasrule said:
What's wrong with filling them up with water, giving them a good shake, and dumping out the water? That seems fast and reliable.

That is a nice idea, and we have a similar system working with a jet of air. The problem is that this severely limits the rate of bottle production. We have rates in excess of 60 bottles a minute, so this causes problems.

Please let me know if there's anything else you have in mind, as I'm really stuck with this :(

Related to Attracting small splinters of glass with a Van de Graaff generator

What is a Van de Graaff generator?

A Van de Graaff generator is a machine that uses static electricity to accumulate and store a large amount of electrical charge on a metal sphere. This creates a strong electric field that can attract small objects, such as bits of glass.

How does a Van de Graaff generator attract small splinters of glass?

The Van de Graaff generator creates a strong electric field on its metal sphere. When small splinters of glass are brought near the generator, they become polarized by the electric field, causing them to be attracted to the sphere. As they get closer, the electric field becomes stronger and the glass is pulled towards the sphere.

Can a Van de Graaff generator attract all types of small objects, or just glass splinters?

The Van de Graaff generator can attract a variety of small objects, not just glass splinters. Any object that is electrically polarizable can be attracted by the electric field of the generator. This includes materials such as paper, plastic, and even tiny pieces of metal.

Is it safe to use a Van de Graaff generator to attract small splinters of glass?

While a Van de Graaff generator can produce high voltages, it is generally safe to use for attracting small objects. However, it is important to follow safety precautions and use the generator as directed to avoid any potential hazards.

Can a Van de Graaff generator attract objects from a distance?

The strength of the electric field produced by a Van de Graaff generator decreases with distance, so it is most effective at attracting objects that are relatively close to the generator. However, with a larger generator and a more powerful electric field, it is possible to attract objects from a slightly greater distance.