Attenuation and source positioning

In summary, there is no easy way to determine the distance to a source of radiation. You would need to use measurements of intensity at different distances to find the attenuation coefficient.
Dade Murphy
Hello,
I've been reading about attenuation, and I wonder if there's a way to determine the distance to your source. Forgive my poor writing; I'm new to the topic.

I understand that equation for linear attenuation is
I = I0e-μx
where:
I = intensity
I0 = initial intensity
μ = attenuation coefficient
x = distance traveled through medium​

My question is this: if I have the information μ and I, is there some way to determine x, and/or I0? It seems that I need to find either of those to find them both, so I wonder if there's some other measurements I could take that would make this possible.
For a simple-minded example, would it be possible to take measurements of intensity at a variety of perpendicular distances in order to determine the geometric spreading and work backward from that to find distance x?

Thank you kindly for your time and knowledge.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello Dade, :welcome:

If you draw a graph of the relationship, you can see that there is no way to pinpoint the source position from a single intensity measurement: the line can be extrapolated to the left and a source of the appropriate strength can be at any position.

Your recipe should work: you get some angular distribution and clearly the width depends on the distance from the source.

Alternatively, if you know the direction the radiation comes from (because of the way the detector is built, like with a peephole or something) you can use your measurement device to do a bit of trigonometry...

Likes Dade Murphy
BvU, thank you for the quick response!

I'm glad that the angular distribution method would work, but I'm concerned that it may take quite a few detectors to be accurate. I'm thinking purely conceptually; I've never handled this sort of data before.
Also, I'm not sure that I understand your second suggestion. Do you mean something like a cluster of sensors receiving from very specific directions, and see which one gets the signal? I suppose I could do that in two places and triangulate, is that what you meant?

Related to Attenuation and source positioning

1. What is attenuation?

Attenuation refers to the decrease in intensity or strength of a signal as it travels through a medium. This can be caused by factors such as distance, absorption, and scattering.

2. How does attenuation affect source positioning?

Attenuation can impact source positioning by causing the signal to weaken or become distorted as it travels through a medium. This can make it more difficult to accurately locate the source of the signal.

3. What are some common methods for measuring attenuation?

There are several methods for measuring attenuation, including using a power meter to measure the decrease in signal strength, using a spectrum analyzer to measure changes in frequency, and using a time domain reflectometer to measure the delay of the signal.

4. Can attenuation be controlled or reduced?

Yes, attenuation can be controlled or reduced in some cases. For example, using repeaters or amplifiers can help boost the signal strength and decrease the effects of attenuation.

5. How does source positioning play a role in signal attenuation?

The position of the source can affect how much attenuation the signal experiences. For example, if the source is located closer to the receiver, there may be less attenuation compared to if the source is located further away.