Fibonacci Sequence so confused

In summary, my professor wants me to study the ratios of FibonacciSequences. I think that this might be too difficult for me, so I would like some advice. Is there a simpler way to calculate the successive ratios of FibonacciSequences? Or is there a more specialized way to calculate the successive ratios of FibonacciSequences?
noboost4you
My professor really threw a curve ball at me the other day with this problem, and unfortuneately, I have no idea where to begin. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In the following problem, all the n's are subdomains of the leading coefficent, along with the f#. f(sub 0), f(sub 1), etc..f(sub n+2), f(sub n+1), f(sub n)...a(sub n)

Let fn be the Fibonacci sequence, i.e.:
{f0 = f1 = 1
{fn+2 = fn+1 + fn, for every n >= 0

Define now a new sequence, {an}, given by an = fn+1 / fn

(a) show that an+1 = 1 + (1/an)
(b) assuming that {an}infinity n=1 is convergent, find lim(n->inf) an.

Please offer any kind of assistance you can. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The first one is just basic algebra. You were given a formula for a_n, use it and see if you can "transform" the LHS into something which looks like the RHS.

If a_n onverges to a, say, then take limits in the equation in part (a) above to find a.

noboost4you said:
My professor really threw a curve ball at me the other day with this problem, and unfortuneately, I have no idea where to begin. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In the following problem, all the n's are subdomains of the leading coefficent, along with the f#. f(sub 0), f(sub 1), etc..f(sub n+2), f(sub n+1), f(sub n)...a(sub n)

Let fn be the Fibonacci sequence, i.e.:
{f0 = f1 = 1
{fn+2 = fn+1 + fn, for every n >= 0

Define now a new sequence, {an}, given by an = fn+1 / fn

(a) show that an+1 = 1 + (1/an)
(b) assuming that {an}infinity n=1 is convergent, find lim(n->inf) an.

Please offer any kind of assistance you can. Thanks

noboost4you I will give you a piece of advice that might help a lot (or might not depending on you)

if you aint no math whiz then whenever possible (time permitting) experiment with real numbers and a calculator

(dont let them force you to think abstractly and generally before youre ready)

the Fibs are:

he wants you to study the ratios

1/1, 2/1, 3/2, 5/3, 8/5, 13/8, 21/13,...

he wants you to check that

this sequence approaches a number X with the special
nice feature that
X = 1 + 1/X

multiplying thru by X you see that another way to write that is
X2 = X + 1

it wouldn't be true exactly for 21/13, or for anyone ratio, but
it might be almost true for 21/13

and if you crank out some larger Fibs and take a corresponding ratio furtherout in the sequence it should be closer to being true for that

If you can figure what number satisfies the equation exactly
that is what X has
X2 = X + 1
exactly
then you can tell what the successive ratios of Fibs are going to get closer and closer to

he doesn't want this for an answer, he has a special fancypants way of finding it out
which you are supposed to step thru, like a trained poodle in the circus.
but this is the gist of it
the successive ratios in the Fib sequence go to the Golden Mean
and you can find this out with a ten buck calculator

Muzza said:
The first one is just basic algebra. You were given a formula for a_n, use it and see if you can "transform" the LHS into something which looks like the RHS.

still lost, I am sorry. any other pointers?

marcus said:
noboost4you I will give you a piece of advice that might help a lot (or might not depending on you)

if you aint no math whiz then whenever possible (time permitting) experiment with real numbers and a calculator

(dont let them force you to think abstractly and generally before youre ready)

the Fibs are:

he wants you to study the ratios

1/1, 2/1, 3/2, 5/3, 8/5, 13/8, 21/13,...

he wants you to check that

this sequence approaches a number X with the special
nice feature that
X = 1 + 1/X

multiplying thru by X you see that another way to write that is
X2 = X + 1

it wouldn't be true exactly for 21/13, or for anyone ratio, but
it might be almost true for 21/13

and if you crank out some larger Fibs and take a corresponding ratio furtherout in the sequence it should be closer to being true for that

If you can figure what number satisfies the equation exactly
that is what X has
X2 = X + 1
exactly
then you can tell what the successive ratios of Fibs are going to get closer and closer to

he doesn't want this for an answer, he has a special fancypants way of finding it out
which you are supposed to step thru, like a trained poodle in the circus.
but this is the gist of it
the successive ratios in the Fib sequence go to the Golden Mean
and you can find this out with a ten buck calculator

sorry, i posted my last message before i saw your response. and to tell you the truth, your response helped me alot. i understand what my professor is now asking. thanks

noboost4you said:
sorry, i posted my last message before i saw your response. and to tell you the truth, your response helped me alot. i understand what my professor is now asking. thanks

heh heh consider that you just got a boost
now comes the part of figuring out what el proffo
wants to see on dah homework paper
good luck
BTW they are pretty good at helping if you go down
to college level homework help, near the bottom of
the index page, or so I thought when I looked in there
someone named Doc Al, I think
you can keep asking questions and eventually something may click

1. What is the Fibonacci Sequence?

The Fibonacci Sequence is a series of numbers where each number is the sum of the two preceding numbers, starting with 0 and 1. So the sequence goes: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, and so on.

2. Where did the Fibonacci Sequence originate from?

The Fibonacci Sequence was named after Leonardo Fibonacci, an Italian mathematician who introduced the sequence to Western European mathematics in the 13th century. However, the concept of the sequence has been observed in various forms throughout history in different cultures.

3. What is the significance of the Fibonacci Sequence?

The Fibonacci Sequence has many applications in mathematics, including in number theory, geometry, and even in nature. It can also be used to model the growth of populations and financial markets.

4. How is the Fibonacci Sequence related to the Golden Ratio?

The Golden Ratio is a mathematical concept that is approximately equal to 1.618. It is often found in nature and has been used in art and architecture for centuries. The Golden Ratio is closely related to the Fibonacci Sequence, as the ratio between two consecutive numbers in the sequence gets closer to the Golden Ratio as the sequence progresses.

5. Are there any real-world examples of the Fibonacci Sequence?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of the Fibonacci Sequence. Some examples include the branching patterns of trees, the arrangement of leaves on a stem, and the spiral patterns found in shells and galaxies. It can also be seen in the proportions of the human body and in the movements of the stock market.