Atomic Structure: Impact of 663nm Photon on Excited Hydrogen Atom

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential effects of a photon with a wavelength of 663nm incident on a hydrogen atom in its fourth excited state. The answer is determined to be D, which states that the atom absorbs the photon and is ionized, with the electron having kinetic energy of 1.33eV after ionization. This is found by using the equation 1/λ = R (1/n12 - 1/n22) and determining the threshold wavelength for ionization to be 2278nm. It is also mentioned that photons with shorter wavelengths have more energy.
apunisheriii
If a photon of wavelength 663nm is incident on a hydrogen atom in its fourth excited state(n=5),then
A.the atom doesn't absorb the photon
B.the atom absorbs the photon but is not ionized
C.the atom absorbs the photon and is ionized,with the electron having zero kinetic energy after ionization
D.the atom absorbs the photon and is ionized,with the electron having kinetic energy 1.33eV after ionization.

the answer is D

but i couldn't approach tat answer when I am using 1/lambda=R(1/n1-1/n22)
after sub in the values into this equation
whole thing seems to be wrong...as 1/25-1/25=0

how can i know tat the photon with wavelength 663nm is able to ionize the atom??
and how to find the electron's kinetic energy after ionization?

Physics news on Phys.org
1/λ = R (1/n12 - 1/n22)

Start with, what wavelength would ionize the atom? (Use the above equation, thinking carefully about what n1 and n2 would be).

How much energy does a photon of that wavelength have?

Then, does a 663 nm photon have at least that much energy?

let n2=0 and n1=25
then i get the wavelength as 2278nm
this is the wavelength for ionization of tat atom
rite??
so it means tat 663nm couldn't ionize the atom??

apunisheriii said:
let n2=0 and n1=25

Actually, we let 1/n22=0 and 1/n12=25
(n2=∞ and n1=5)

then i get the wavelength as 2278nm
this is the wavelength for ionization of tat atom
rite??

Yes. Or more correctly, that's the threshhold wavelength for ionization of the atom. Any photons with more energy could also ionize the atom.

so it means tat 663nm couldn't ionize the atom??

You should figure out the energy in photons of 2278nm and 663nm in order to understand what is going on. Or, realize that photons have more energy if the wavelength is ___________. (longer or shorter?)

p.s. I'm logging off soon, good luck!

oo!
i got it !
thnx!
but how bout the kinetic energy?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Atomic Structure: Impact of 663nm Photon on Excited Hydrogen Atom

1. What is the impact of a 663nm photon on an excited hydrogen atom?

When a 663nm photon, which falls within the red region of the visible light spectrum, interacts with an excited hydrogen atom, it can cause the atom to return to its ground state or lower energy level. This is known as emission of a photon and is a key factor in understanding the atomic structure of hydrogen.

2. How does a 663nm photon affect the energy levels of a hydrogen atom?

The energy of a hydrogen atom is directly related to its electron's position and movement. When a 663nm photon is absorbed by an excited hydrogen atom, it provides the necessary energy for the electron to move to a lower energy level, resulting in a decrease in the atom's overall energy.

3. Can a 663nm photon have any other impact on a hydrogen atom?

Yes, in addition to causing the atom to return to a lower energy level, a 663nm photon can also be absorbed by an electron in the ground state of a hydrogen atom, causing it to jump to a higher energy level. This is known as absorption of a photon and is another important aspect of atomic structure.

4. How does the impact of a 663nm photon on a hydrogen atom relate to the Bohr model?

The Bohr model of the hydrogen atom explains the energy levels and transitions of electrons in a hydrogen atom. The interaction between a 663nm photon and an excited hydrogen atom is a real-life example of the Bohr model, as it demonstrates how electrons can change energy levels through the absorption and emission of photons.

5. Is the impact of a 663nm photon on a hydrogen atom the same as that of other photons?

No, the impact of a photon on a hydrogen atom depends on its specific energy or wavelength. A 663nm photon has a specific energy that is different from other photons, such as those in the ultraviolet or infrared regions of the spectrum. This results in different effects on the energy levels of a hydrogen atom.