Atomic Oscillations & Redshift in Sun and Earth

In summary: One would expect the shift to be the same for both cases, but there are other effects that could complicate things.
Mickey1
My question is very simple (and I assume it has been discussed before but I cant't find the topic):

An atom in the Sun emits a photon detected by an observer on Earth. Disregarding uncertainties and experimental problems relating to the movement of the atom (or assuming we could correct for it)

1 Should one expect:

differences in the oscillations of atoms in the Sun - from our observation point - so that a photon would leave the atom with a redshift – and then acquire additional redshift though its journey out of the Sun’s gravity field (also taking the lower gravity field of the observation point into account).

2 Alternative should we only expect:

one of these effects, perhaps being the same effect explained in two different ways?

The problem is also mentioned in K. Wilhelm, B. N. Dwivedi, On the gravitational redshift, Aug. 2014, Pages 8–13, accessed in arXiv:1307.0274.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is gravitational redshift. You can assign this to the point of production or the journey on the way to us - it doesn't make a difference. Both views, when treated consistently, lead to the same predictions for all measurements.

There is redshift and blueshift associated to the rotation of the Sun, you also have some thermal motion, but I guess these effects are not what the question is about.

mfb said:
There is gravitational redshift. You can assign this to the point of production or the journey on the way to us - it doesn't make a difference. Both views, when treated consistently, lead to the same predictions for all measurements.

There is redshift and blueshift associated to the rotation of the Sun, you also have some thermal motion, but I guess these effects are not what the question is about.

I take it then we should only expect one shift, i.e. any of the two, which you consider equivalent, and not two on top of each other.

You shouldn’t double-count, sure.

Related to Atomic Oscillations & Redshift in Sun and Earth

1. What are atomic oscillations?

Atomic oscillations refer to the periodic movement of electrons around the nucleus of an atom. This movement is caused by the attraction between the positively charged nucleus and the negatively charged electrons. These oscillations play a crucial role in the behavior and properties of matter.

2. How do atomic oscillations affect the Sun and Earth?

In the Sun, the constant atomic oscillations in the core create immense heat and pressure, leading to nuclear fusion and the release of energy that powers the Sun. On Earth, atomic oscillations contribute to the formation of chemical bonds and the transfer of heat and energy in various systems.

3. What is redshift?

Redshift refers to the phenomenon of light waves being stretched out or lengthened, resulting in a shift towards the red end of the visible light spectrum. This occurs when an object is moving away from an observer, causing the light waves to appear longer and the frequency to decrease.

4. How does redshift relate to atomic oscillations in the Sun and Earth?

In the Sun, the intense atomic oscillations cause a slight redshift in the light emitted from the solar surface. This is due to the Doppler effect, where the movement of atoms causes a shift in the frequency of light waves. On Earth, redshift can be observed in the light coming from distant stars and galaxies, providing valuable information about their velocity and distance.

5. Can redshift be used to measure the age of the universe?

Yes, redshift can be used to estimate the age of the universe by measuring the expansion rate of the universe. This is known as the Hubble constant, and it describes the relationship between the distance of an object and its redshift. By studying the redshift of distant objects, scientists can calculate the age of the universe to be around 13.8 billion years.