Atomic Mass of Neon: Explained for High School Chemistry

• Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms Mass
In summary, the atomic mass of an element on the periodic table is a weighted average of the atomic masses of its isotopes. Neon, for example, has three stable isotopes with varying percentages, resulting in an atomic mass of 20.18. This is why there is a difference between the expected atomic mass based on the number of protons, neutrons, and electrons, and the actual atomic mass listed on the periodic table. The mass of the electrons is usually ignored because it is significantly smaller compared to the mass of protons and neutrons.
wasteofo2
I'm a high school kid taking chemistry, and I'm confused about how atoms get their listed mass. Take Neon for instance, it's got 10 protons, 10 neutrons, and 10 electroncs, it's normally not an ion or isotopic. So from what my teacher's explained, Neon shold have an Atomic Mass of 10 from the protons, 10 from the neutrons, and around .005 from 10 electroncs. However, on the periodic table of elements, it says Neon has an atomic mass of 20.18. So where do these extra .175 AMU's come from? Has he over-simplified something and Protons or Neutrons really weigh a bit more than exactly 1 AMU, or is there something else about Atoms that gives them more weight than they should have?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The periodic table usually lists a weighted average of the isotopes of a substance.

Neon has three stable isotopes Ne-20 (90.48%), Ne-21 (0.27%) and Ne-22 (9.25%) the atomic weight is a weighted average of the atomic massess of these isotopes.

Gracias.

I wish my chemistry could have answered my question like that instead of "That's tomorrow's lesson", would have taken less time than it did for me to try to get him to answer the question.

wasteofo2 said:
and around .005 from 10 electroncs.
genrarly, we ignore the mass of the electrons because they are so insignificantly small, you would need 1835 electrons to equal the mass of 1 proton, and you can't get that much on a single atom becuase you would normally need that many protons to cancel out the charge, and the periodic table does quite reach 1835 elements.

Related to Atomic Mass of Neon: Explained for High School Chemistry

1. What is the atomic mass of neon?

The atomic mass of neon is 20.18 atomic mass units (amu).

2. How is the atomic mass of neon determined?

The atomic mass of neon is determined by calculating the average mass of all the known isotopes of neon, taking into account their relative abundance.

3. Why is the atomic mass of neon a decimal number?

The atomic mass of neon is a decimal number because it takes into account the different masses of the various isotopes of neon, which have slightly different numbers of neutrons.

4. How does the atomic mass of neon relate to the mass number?

The atomic mass of neon is approximately equal to the mass number of the most abundant isotope of neon, which is neon-20. However, since there are other isotopes of neon present in smaller amounts, the atomic mass is slightly higher.

5. What is the significance of the atomic mass of neon in chemistry?

The atomic mass of neon is important in chemistry because it is used to calculate the molar mass of neon, which is necessary for many chemical calculations and reactions. It also helps to identify and distinguish between different elements, as each element has a unique atomic mass.