Atomic Mass in a Mass Spectrometer

In summary, natural carbon consists of two isotopes with different masses due to varying numbers of neutrons in the nucleus. However, the chemical properties remain the same because the number of protons is constant. In a mass spectrometer, the more abundant isotope has an atomic mass of 12.00 u and moves in a circle with a radius of 15.0 cm, while the rarer isotope has an atomic mass of 13.0 u and moves in a circle with a radius of 15.6 cm. The atomic mass of the rarer isotope is determined by considering the ratio of the radii and velocities of the two isotopes, with the energy remaining constant for both.
futurepocket

Homework Statement

Natural carbon consists of two different isotopes. The isotopes have different masses, which is due to different numbers of neutrons in the nucleus; however, the number of protons is the same, and subsequently, the chemical properties are the same. The most abundant isotope has an atomic mass of 12.00 u. When natural carbon is placed in a mass spectrometer, two lines are formed on the photographic plate. The lines show that the more abundant isotope moved in a circle of radius 15.0 cm, while the rarer isotope moved in a circle of radius 15.6 cm. What is the atomic mass of the rarer isotope? (The ions have the same charge and are accelerated through the same potential difference before entering the magnetic field)

Homework Equations

a(r) = v^2/r = F/m = qvB/m

The Attempt at a Solution

The magnetic field and the charge are constant. I realize that velocity is NOT constant since it passes through the same potential difference (but the two isotopes have two different masses). After some trial and error, I found the ratio:

r2/r1 = m2/m1

Which doesn't work because I get an answer of 12.48 while the answer is 13.0 u. So, basically I have to consider that the velocity matters as well, so you get:

r2/r1 = m2v2 / m1v1

But if r2/r1 is proportional to m2/m1, is it also proportional to v2/v1? I get the right answer if I do the following:

m2 = r2/r1 x m1 x r2/r1
m2 = 2(r2/r1) x m1

I consider the second r2/r1 is because of the velocity, but I don't have an explanation for the question. If someone could explain why this is done (if its the correct method), or explain the correct method if it is not, it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
A charge q on a mass m accelerated through a pd V(in a vacuum) gains KE given by:
qV=mv squared/2.....(v= speed)
For both isotopes q is the same and V is the same.

I thought so too, but the textbook states that if the mass is different of the two charges, than, when they pass through a potential difference, the velocity is not the same. If I follow the logic you provided, I end up with the ratio:

r2/r1 = m2/m1
m2 = r2/r1 x m1
m2 = 12.48 u

When the actual answer is m2 = 13 u. I know they didn't round off to 13 u, so I suppose velocity has something to do with it? If not, what am I doing wrong?

Yes,the velocities are not the same.From the equation above
m1v1 squared=m2v2 squared(m1 and m2are the two masses corresponding respectively to velocities v1 and v2).
On entering the magnetic field each isotope is deflected into a circular path of radius given by:
Bqv=mv squared/r therefore r=mv/Bq

You wrote:

v2/r = F/m = qvB/m

So

mv2 = rqvB

E/2 = rqvB

Where E is the energy that the atom was given passing through the accelerator stage. Assuming its constant for all particles with the same charge, you can also replace the remaining v in terms of energy (it will depend upon the mass). Everything but m and r should be constants in what remains.

Okay, so I am still totally confused. I know r = mv / Bq, the magnetic field and the charge are constant but the mass and velocity are NOT constant, but we aren't given the velocity. So if I set up a ratio:

r2/r1 = m2v2/m1v1

and isolated for m2

(r2/r1 x m1v1) / v2 = m2
r2m1v1/r1v2 = m2

Do I just take the ratio of v1/v2 as the ratio of r1/r2 since they're proportional? Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I just can't seem to figure it out.

Also, if I express the other v in terms of E, it stays constant but I get it under a square root.

Actually, I think I just figured it out:

If I express them in terms of E and energy stays constant for both:

r2 / r1 = m2v2 / m1v1 = m2sqroot(2E/m2) / m1sqroot(2E/m1)
r2 / r1 x sqroot(m1) = sqroot(m2)
m2 = (r2 / r1 x sqroot(m1))^2
m2 = 13 u

Is that correct?

Thats what I made it.I was surprised because I thought the other isotope would be carbon 14 and not carbon 13.

Great, thanks for all the help guys :)

Related to Atomic Mass in a Mass Spectrometer

1. What is Atomic Mass in a Mass Spectrometer?

Atomic mass in a mass spectrometer refers to the mass of an atom, which is measured in atomic mass units (amu). It is one of the key components in determining the identity of an element.

2. How is Atomic Mass determined in a Mass Spectrometer?

Atomic mass is determined in a mass spectrometer by measuring the mass-to-charge ratio of ions. This is done by ionizing a sample and then separating the ions based on their mass-to-charge ratio using an electromagnetic field.

3. How accurate is Atomic Mass measurement in a Mass Spectrometer?

The accuracy of atomic mass measurement in a mass spectrometer depends on the instrument being used. Modern mass spectrometers can measure atomic masses with high precision, often with an accuracy of up to 0.000001 amu.

4. How is Atomic Mass used in Mass Spectrometry analysis?

Atomic mass is used in mass spectrometry analysis to identify the chemical composition of a sample. By measuring the atomic masses of the ions present in the sample, scientists can determine the elements and their relative abundances in the sample.

5. How does Atomic Mass affect the behavior of ions in a Mass Spectrometer?

Atomic mass affects the behavior of ions in a mass spectrometer because it determines the mass-to-charge ratio of the ions. This ratio determines how the ions will be separated and detected in the mass spectrometer, allowing for the identification and analysis of the sample's components.