Atomic density of argon in liquid and gas form

In summary, argon (atomic weight 40) exists as a monatomic gas at room temperature and pressure with a density of 1784 kg m−3. To calculate the atomic density (atoms m−3) in liquid argon, the formula PV = NkT is used, resulting in a value of 2.44 x 1025 atoms m−3. At a pressure of 1 atm and a temperature of 300K, the atomic density in gaseous argon is the same. To calculate this, the atomic mass of argon (40 grams/mol) is divided by Avogadro's number (6.02 x 1023), resulting in a mass of 6.64 x
EmmaLemming
Homework Statement

Argon (atomic weight 40) exists as a monatomic gas at room temperature and
pressure. The density of liquid argon is 1784 kg m−3.

(a) Calculate the atomic density (atoms m−3) in liquid argon.

(b) Calculate the atomic density (atoms m−3) in gaseous argon at a pressure of 1 atm and a temperature of 300K.

The attempt at a solution

(a)

PV = NkT
where,
P = 1.01 x 105
k = 1.38 x 10-23
T = 300

N/V = P/kT = 2.44 x 1025 atoms m−3

(b)

I have no idea. I know there should be a difference but I don't know what to do.

I think perhaps my answer to (a) is in fact the answer to (b) in which case, how do I answer (a)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi EmmaLemming! :smile:

Yep. Your answer to (a) is the answer to (b).

That leaves you with 2 quantities that you have not used yet: atomic mass of argon and its density.

Do you know what that number 40 for the atomic mass represents and how to use it in a formula?
And what is density (as a formula)?

Btw, the formula PV = NkT only applies to ideal gasses.
Luckily gaseous argon does behave like an ideal gas.

Hello :)

Thanks for you're help

So for part (a) could I just divide the atomic density by the mass?
I've seen before that atomic mass, 40, can be written as 0.04kg however I thought,

mass = M/avagadro = 6.64 x 10^-23kg

Which mass do I use? :s

Yes, you can divide the mass density by the mass of 1 atom, to get the atomic density.The atomic mass number 40 means that 1 mol of argon has a mass of 40 grams.

And 1 mol of argon is a number of atoms that is equal to the number of avogadro.I'm not sure which masses you calculated with just now, however.

Last edited:
I did,

40/(6.02 x 1023) = 6.64 x 10-23 kg,

to get the mass of one argon atom. Now that I think about it though should it be,

0.04/(6.02 x 1023) = 6.64 x 10-26 kg.

Ah okay.
That looks better. :)

Yaaay :) Thanks very much for your help.

Related to Atomic density of argon in liquid and gas form

1. What is the atomic density of argon in liquid and gas form?

The atomic density of argon in liquid form is 1.40 g/cm3, while in gas form it is 1.78 g/L at standard temperature and pressure (STP).

2. How does the atomic density of argon change when it transitions from liquid to gas?

The atomic density of argon increases when it transitions from liquid to gas due to the decrease in intermolecular forces and increase in molecular motion.

3. How does the atomic density of argon in liquid compare to other elements?

Argon has a relatively high atomic density in liquid form compared to other elements, such as oxygen and nitrogen, which have atomic densities of 1.14 g/cm3 and 0.81 g/cm3, respectively, at their boiling points.

4. Is the atomic density of argon affected by temperature and pressure?

Yes, the atomic density of argon can be affected by changes in temperature and pressure. As temperature increases, the atomic density of argon decreases due to the increase in molecular motion. As pressure increases, the atomic density of argon also increases due to the decrease in molecular volume.

5. Why is the atomic density of argon important in industrial and scientific applications?

The atomic density of argon is important in various industrial and scientific applications, such as in welding processes and as a protective atmosphere in the production of metals. It is also used in gas chromatography and as a refrigerant in cryogenic applications. Understanding the atomic density of argon is crucial in determining its behavior and interactions in these applications.